Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dreadful Canteen in ITT

Options
  • 23-02-2010 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Am a part time student in ITT and am so glad I am not there full time.
    The canteen is a rip off for what you get.
    Apart from the food being regular poor quality canteen food, the portions are kids portions, they really are the bare minimum.
    I'm not a big eater myself, but never, have I seen such miserable portions anywhere.
    And when you ask for a portion of chips, they give them to you in a tiny bowl, so there is hardly any in it.
    Hopefully the students union will address this at some stage.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Would you believe that they have?

In previous years it has been so much worse. This year the food has gotten better and everything has gotten cheaper. I find that for the best bang for your buck you should go to the Quiznos counter. They have a great chicken fillet roll for €3.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

I'd wager that instead of the catering being run by the college, for the college, it has instead been out-sourced to some $hitty catering company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

It's definitely better than it's been in previous years, but it's far from perfect.
    I'm glad to see they've introduced student specials. It's a start anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Teferi wrote: »
    I find that for the best bang for your buck you should go to the Quiznos counter. They have a great chicken fillet roll for €3.

Do they in the Mezz upstairs too, good stuff for €3.

Anyone ever go around to the chipper around at the Abberley Corurt, €2.90 for a chicken baguette and can, wonder if it's any use.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭tevion

The canteen food would be 'ok' if the portions werent so tiny.
    Its easy reduce the price and call it a 'student special' when the portions are so tiny, but really it should be called a 'kiddies special'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

tevion wrote: »
    The canteen food would be 'ok' if the portions werent so tiny.
    Its easy reduce the price and call it a 'student special' when the portions are so tiny, but really it should be called a 'kiddies special'

Supply and demand, if people keep buying the "kiddies special" the canteen will keep serving it and make money, if they don't then they'd have to change it. The queues for the canteen can be crazy anytime I pass it in the afternoon, so people obviously don't have a problem.

Supply and demand, if people keep buying the "kiddies special" the canteen will keep serving it and make money, if they don't then they'd have to change it.

I think people are happy to pay because there's been some improvements, on previous years!

3 euro for sausages, beans and chips is pretty good. Much cheaper than you'd be expected to pay in any regular restaurant.

I usually get the soup. 1.50 per bowl, which is reasonable enough, I think! I'm happy to pay that, because it's at least 1/2 the price of any normal restaurant, so I can see it's a good deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Misa-san

The canteen is ****. Simple as.

Yes, it got cheaper - and it was a really good idea to introduce the specials - BUT the chip portions are terrible, and more importantly (and the reason I'm so familiar with the chip portions) is 9 times out of 10 there's no Vegetarian Option. Like today for example - Beef Curry, Beef Burger or Peppered chicken. Even if you try to make something up out of the side orders or veg they have to go with the meal - the cashier will just make up a price and you'll be WAAAY over charged. The only real "option" they give is soup - which yeah, good price. But hardly filling considering the size of the bowls.

Quiznos is the devil. I've heard more stories of food poisoning than anything else. The Mezz is the best food going - but only serves between 12 and 2; and have no consistency in their fillings range. And again - no set vegetarian option, the price for a cheese and salad sandwich changes daily.

Long story short - I hate the canteen :P

Misa-san wrote: »
    9 times out of 10 there's no Vegetarian Option. Like today for example - Beef Curry, Beef Burger or Peppered chicken. Even if you try to make something up out of the side orders or veg they have to go with the meal - the cashier will just make up a price and you'll be WAAAY over charged.

Maybe someone should address the issue with the manager of the canteen? Speak to them and explain that if they catered for the vegan / vegetarian students in the college, it might help to encourage more students to eat in the canteen - and eat more healthily, rather than snacking on chocolate, bags of crisps etc.

I might go to them myself, because I'm sure I'm not the only one who's allergic to wheat and dairy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Misa-san wrote: »

Quiznos is the devil. I've heard more stories of food poisoning than anything else.

I have to argue this. I have been eating from Quiznos for 2+ years and have never got poisoned. Either have my mates.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I have to argue this. I have been eating from Quiznos for 2+ years and have never got poisoned. Either have my mates.

But it tastes like an old shoe :pac:

Maybe people on the 3rd floor have some sort of immunity? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭kildare9

They should reduce the price of the chicken,spuds & veg (I think its 6 or 7euro). In DIT you can get that meal for 3euro. The canteen has a lot of catching up to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

whats the deal with quiznos?
    Girl asks: Do you want a reg or large roll? large says I then she proceeds to cut two centimeteres off the end of the roll and peg it into the bin, for god sake? whats with that?

I'd like a turkey guacamole roll, sorry no turkey hmm ok can u put chicken in there instead,
    girl: No we cant do that would you like ham instead, me: no thanks
    me: Ok give me a chicken roll and put some guacamole on it then, can u do that?
    Girl: yes, thats fine :o ????????????? lol

Advertisement