Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Water should I pay rent?

Options
  • 23-02-2010 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi my flat has been without water since sunday night. I talked with the landlord and he has told me the pump that supplies the flats has broken down and wont be fixed until tomorrow. Although I understand he is doing everything to fix it Ive been basically without water for almost 3 days. Am I unreasonable if I ask for 3 days free rent?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

yes you are being unreasonable.

As you said he is doing everything he can

http://d1099933.u37.eurhost.com/page.asp?menu=70&page=160

Scroll down to 'standards' on the above link. No your not being unreasonable, the land lord said he's doing the best he can? I doubt it, any half descent plumber can have a pump changed or repaired in a day or less, especially in the times we're in, where they are more than happy to get the work! I'd say you and the rest of the tenants are entitled to 3 days free rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭chillin_penguin

any half descent plumber can have a pump changed or repaired in a day or less,

Ya thats true but have you tried to get a hold of a plumber lately. cant be done they are all very busy believe me. Plumbers are one of the few that are still busy. If it broke on sunday nothing could be done he rings they plumber monday and its not unreasonable give him 2days to get his parts etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Gotta disagree.

OP is being unreasonable

3/4 days without water is pain but i cant see any PRTB/Court actually using that as an excuse to get off a few days rent.

Youd be chancing your arm and unable to enforce any claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭jetlagged

"Your landlord must, by law, ensure that your flat complies with certain minimum standards (e.g. free from damp, in good structural repair, hot and cold water, adequate means of heating and ventilation, appliances in good working order, electrical wiring, gas, pipes in good repair). If your flat does not comply with these standards, report it to your local authority or the Private Residential Tenancies Board. An inspection will be carried out and the landlord ordered to do any necessary repairs. Contact Threshold, the Private Residential Tenancies Board or your local authority for further advice."

So if they 'orderd him to carry out necessary repairs' which he did as promptly as he could, what are you getting at shaane? Could I still be compensated?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

For the sake of 3 days rent, I would probably just leave it rather than risk souring my relationship with my landlord...

Having said that, the hot water in our flat has been shagged for 11 days now, and despite our landlord being the nicest person you could hope to meet, we're still going to look for some kind of rent reduction from them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

You are not going to get compsenated for this by any legal means. Try contacting the local authority and see what they say.

Tman has it spot on. Id say anything over a week is a bit much.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,310 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Tell the landlord that you would like some consideration given.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭jetlagged

hi victor what do you mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭bigjohnny80

You are being unreasonable and are being a bit tight asking for 3 days off the rent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,310 ✭✭✭✭Victor

jetlagged wrote: »
    hi victor what do you mean?
    Don't make a formal demand ("GIVE ME ONE MILLION DOLL-LARS!!"), but explain that its made things difficult for you as you haven't been able to cook, wash, etc. and that it has cost you money could he make some allowance.

Advertisement