Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lost my rear speaker sound!

Options
  • 23-02-2010 8:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭

Hey all......Just bought meself a new Sony head unit today.....Got it wired in professionaly! But luckily I realised while I was in the motor factors, that I had lost the sound to my rear speakers.....all 6 of them! Its not a major issue for me but I plan on selling the car on again and I'd like to have them all working! I should probably mention that they are all factory fitted speakers and not tampered with in any way. The electrician said its just a matter of running a cable from the head unit to the rear amp?!:confused: Would this be a big job?? Its an Audi A4 and afaik, rear amplified?...with like a 5 inch strip running the width of the car just inside the back window!
    I'm just wondering what I'd need to sort the problem or is he making a mountain out of a molehill??:rolleyes:
    Any advice please!!??:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

running a cable to the back doesn't sound like a big job!
    Let him at it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭thenashlegend

Well I have to take a look at the back of the unit yet but apparently its a matter of separating two blocks and running the cable from there to the amp?!:o Does that sound a proper fix for the problem?!.....He reckons 30-40 euro for the cable......if its just a "plug and play" type job if I could get my hands on the cable I'd attempt it myself!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I think it'd be more a case of cutting up the harnesses on both ends and joining the new wire. For the amount of things that could go wrong I reckon you'd be as well to let him do it. that way if anything (like interior trim or the amp itself) gets damaged it's his problem.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

If he is using good quality speaker cable then that price sounds about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 djlinehan

Hey all......Just bought meself a new Sony head unit today.....Got it wired in professionaly! But luckily I realised while I was in the motor factors, that I had lost the sound to my rear speakers.....all 6 of them! Its not a major issue for me but I plan on selling the car on again and I'd like to have them all working! I should probably mention that they are all factory fitted speakers and not tampered with in any way. The electrician said its just a matter of running a cable from the head unit to the rear amp?!:confused: Would this be a big job?? Its an Audi A4 and afaik, rear amplified?...with like a 5 inch strip running the width of the car just inside the back window!
    I'm just wondering what I'd need to sort the problem or is he making a mountain out of a molehill??:rolleyes:
    Any advice please!!??:D

if the speakers are factory fitted then all the wires from the back of the car to the front should be there allready.
    you said you lost the sound when you fitted a new sterio so maybe in fitting the new sterio some of the speakers werent wired into the new sterio hence the loss of sound....
    as for getting them wired profesionaly if he managed to "lose" 6 speakers while instaling one radio i suspect he dosnt know his arse from his elbow...
    unless by profesionally you mean " sure i chance it"

dj

• Advertisement

Thanks! Hopefully it'll sort the problem! Im not too bothered about it right now because the 4 front speakers are doing just fine but I'd rather have everything working before I'd sell it! Also I have a front AUX socket, just wondering if ye might know of a cheapish bracket for an Ipod that could be mounted around the stereo?!:)

To dj......Ya I know what you mean!;) But he is a qualified auto electrician! As its an Audi it had 3 looms, an antenna and one other cable with a yellow connector:confused: in the original stereo but only 2 looms and the antenna connected to the new Sony unit! Im not at all competent with car electronics so all I know is that he can order this cable for me and doing whatever?? at the head unit and running it to the amp will sort it?! Is it possible there is an easier fix?? maybe linking 2 cables at the looms??

• Registered Users Posts: 39 drs1

i've fitted lots of radios to this setup audi..
    its very straight forward the way it was worked is the the old audi (concert radio) stereo only had speaker out puts to the front speakers and the rear channel was powered by the amplifier .
    what he's saying will work by running cable to the rear speakers but its not the way i'd recommend as the amplifier in the car provides a good quality sound and doing this your actually bypassing a good setup!

the part u need basically converts the block at the back of the radio to rca leads and gives out a trigger wire to turn on the amp when radio is on.
    the part might cost about 30 im not overly sure put its a simple plug in when you get it.
    heres one on ebay and to be honest if the guy who fitted it isnt familiar with this layout i'd be a little worried..
    hope this helps
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Autoleads-PC9-404-Audi-Rear-Amp-to-RCA-Harness-Adaptor_W0QQitemZ350303919276QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxq20100112?IMSfp=TL100112226002r33048

Thanks a mill drs1.....I was hoping for something like this!!:D I love the sound from the A4 system and would hate to have it downgraded! So there was truth in what he was saying.....just it was the wrong way to do this!! Hmmm?? I might be having a little talk with him yet!!;)
    Sorry I should have asked if this was as straight forward as it seems?! Connecting the two current looms to this....and this on to the new head unit?? Would that be right??

• Registered Users Posts: 16 djlinehan

drs1 wrote: »
    i've fitted lots of radios to this setup audi..
    its very straight forward the way it was worked is the the old audi (concert radio) stereo only had speaker out puts to the front speakers and the rear channel was powered by the amplifier .
    what he's saying will work by running cable to the rear speakers but its not the way i'd recommend as the amplifier in the car provides a good quality sound and doing this your actually bypassing a good setup!

the part u need basically converts the block at the back of the radio to rca leads and gives out a trigger wire to turn on the amp when radio is on.
    the part might cost about 30 im not overly sure put its a simple plug in when you get it.
    heres one on ebay and to be honest if the guy who fitted it isnt familiar with this layout i'd be a little worried..
    hope this helps
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Autoleads-PC9-404-Audi-Rear-Amp-to-RCA-Harness-Adaptor_W0QQitemZ350303919276QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxq20100112?IMSfp=TL100112226002r33048

drs1's dead right

you can also pick up the converter in halfords and it is a simple as you think it should be.. one side is audi and the other side is sony and there are lots of diffderent types for lots of different radios

i hope that helps a bit....

• Advertisement

Thanks all!!:D Went to Halfords in Castlebar today but no joy.....can be ordered in but it'll be around 40 quid?!:rolleyes: Went to the local communications place here and they can order it but if it aint right they still charge me to return it!..... So as far as I can see a place called Nexxia in the UK could be best!:D £10.96 for the unit!! Will order it and keep ye posted!! Fingers crossed!:)

Advertisement