Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DENIED.....Maintenance Grant :(

Options
  • 23-02-2010 6:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hello People,

A little help and advice is needed here. Last year I was sucessfull in obtaining a place on a PLC course (Communications and media production) This is a three year degree course full time, Wooohhoooo for me right. :D wrong :(
    So got my stuff together all info on grants, BTA etc and applied in sept 09.
    I was denied today by letter " The PLC Grant Scheme regrets to inform you that as your reckonable income exceeds the upper limits, you do not qualify for grant support" !!:mad:

So here are my questions and info if anyone could shed some light or has been in a similar situation.

I applied as a mature student.
    I am unemployed and recieve pittance of 190 odd in jobseekers benifit.
    (unemployed since nov 08)
    My hubby ( sent all his gear in also) earns the hugh total of 37k a year.
    I have one dependant school going child.
    what is the income limits to get the bloody grant ??
    Can i get any other assistance?
    And most importantly of all how, where and who do I speak to about appealing the decision? Local TD, Jerry bloody Ryan :rolleyes:

I know the grant is means tested hence all my hubby stuff in with my application, and that I wouldn't be due the full amount but i honestly thought I would receive some sort dues even if it only paid my petrol and toll tag !

I had a look on student finance web site and as a rough guide they say

Level 1 - Student Services Charge Paid 52,186-56,360 > 0
    Level 2 - 25% Maintenance 49,536-52,020 > 855
    Level 3 - 50% Maintenance 47,051-49,535> 1,710
    Level 4 - 75% Maintenance 45,926-47,050 >2,565
    Level 5 - 100% Maintenance 0-46,090 >3,420
    Level 6 - 100 Maintenance + Special Rate 0-22,308

I am soooo mad and frustrated that i'm almost finnished my first year and now i'v hit a brick wall. Grrrrrr at the poxy govt, Grrrr at the social welfare office, just bloody Grrrrr in general.

Has anyone elce been refused ? on what grounds?

Thanks for your eyes scrolling over my rant, hope you lovely dubs can help me:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Whats your total reckonable income and whats it made up of? I assume they're still basing it on your 2008 income?

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Laydee

Not sure what the income limit is, the page on the VEC website won't load.
    You appeal to the department of science and education, ring them and they'll send you out an appeal form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 35mm-negative

Thanks,

I'm presuming its going on 2008 income, it has to be. I have the appeal form and will be ringing to check for sure..........So can i apply again for 2010 and use my 09 income which was nil. There all swings and round abouts if ya ask me. I'm not so Grrrrrr today after some thought on the matter, and either way i'm gettin that degree no matter what (even if a green TD left his post 4 me)and then I'm outta this Country.:cool:

Advertisement