Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skiing at Kilternan

Options
  • 23-02-2010 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

Do any of you guys ever go to the artifical slopes at Kilternan and if so how do you find it? How does it compare with the real thing? Do they hold competitions there or is it solely for teaching? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

I know a few people who go and ski there, but it's so different from the real thing, and so small compared to a full mountain, that it's best for lessons. If you are not a good skier, or a total beginner, then it's well worth going along for a set of lessons before you go.

They do hold competitions there.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭sarsfield06

EileenG, full mountains are overrated :) Was in the Skiwelt a few weeks ago and there were so many runs couldn't cope, it was like going orienteering!

I've no involvment with the ski club but Kiltiernan is good fun and closer than the Alps although the Wicklow mountains have loads of potential at the moment. I don't notice that much difference to snow only it's less forgiving meaning you need to ski properly. If you are advanced you can race slalom get race training or do some serious freestyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

ThegingerbearDendex is the surface at the ski club it is slightly diffrent to snow as said all ready it is less forgiving and slightly slower.

If you do not have good technique it will punish you for it and focus the legs and mind and make sure you improve. Its no where near as good as snow but it is the best of the options in Ireland

There is a whole range of lessons from Complete beginner to advanced race training and Freestyle classes and everything in between

There are monthly club races normally the first week of every month and the annual Irish Open in November

EileenG: Its amazing how many people thing they are good skiers ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Fattes wrote: »

EileenG: Its amazing how many people thing they are good skiers ;)

I know, I think I'm married to one of them...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

Its amazing how many people thing they are good skiers ;)

And spellers :P

• Advertisement

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fattes viewpost.gif
    Its amazing how many people thing they are good skiers wink.gif

And spellers tongue.gif

I am dyslexic as hell I can honestly say I have never claimed to be a good speller or a good skier.

Although once or twice in moments of euphoria while buried up to my balls in powder I may have screamed the words I am a skiing god :D

EileenG: Tell him that untill he can ski a water injectied Salomon piste while carrying 4 racers jackets spare boots a drill and 20 slalom gates that is when he is a good skier (Thats how the Austrians do it:D) & no I cant either

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Thegingerbear

Thanks for all the replys, I might head over there and get some tuition. I wouldn't mind having a go at the racing, do they cater for all levels or is only for advanced skiers? Have spent a couple of weeks skiing in Austria so am still only a beginner.

There is an introduction to racing class on a wed. Probably best if you did the personal perfomance clinic on a wed for a few weeks and then whent into the race class.

If you have any questions drop me a PM and I will make sure you are looked after.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Sidney77

its probably ok fr skiers but its terrible for boarding,

id say give it a try and see how you find it, its like a curly wurly shaped carpet, if you are used to snow its not great but if you just wanna learn its good

• Registered Users Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭prunudo

I havent been up there this year at all but was wondering has the club house been redeveloped, thought I remember talk of new facilites and are there any plans to change the dendex to a different surface like snowflex.

• Advertisement

Jvan, Due to the hotel liquidation there has not been a move because the accountant!

There is talk of the work starting soon but I would not hold my breath but fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭JoeyH

From what I heard its just the beginner slopes getting changed to snowflex.

Planning permission has just been applied for in Dundalk for an all snowflex piste. Fingers crossed!

By the way if you have a sat nav set kiltiernan golf club in as the destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

Jvan, Due to the hotel liquidation there has not been a move because the accountant!

There is talk of the work starting soon but I would not hold my breath but fingers crossed

I got an e-mail yesterday from "Hotel & Catering" that funding of 10 million has been released to finish off this hotel so hopefully !!

I like Mayo but would love to be nearer to Kilternan, it has to help being able to click on the ski's even on a dry slope.

From what I heard its just the beginner slopes getting changed to snowflex.

You are spot on there like all artificial surfaces for skiing snowflex has its advantages and disadvantages.

It is great for beginners as it is soft and there are no holes to catch thumbs in and it is perfect for Freestyle

Disadvantages: It sucks for high end skiing like short radius and carving/racing.

Would be great to see another place to ski in Ireland especially one that can cater to freestyle events

Advertisement