Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2009 Red Wine Recommendation required

Options
  • 23-02-2010 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi All,

Let me start by saying I know absolutely nothing about wine.

What I want to do is buy a red wine from 2009 that I can keep up for any number of years and know that someday I can open it drink it.

I had an unfortunate event in 2009 so I want the wine there maturing, secure in the fact that someday I can just sit back and enjoy it.

Any recommendations, suggestion or advice much appreciated.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

The most important question is: do you have a cool place to keep it where the temperature doesn't change much?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 desk1

It depends on how long you want to keep it. If you want it to last 5-10+ years you should look for a good Red Bordeaux that is Cru Bourgeois or a Classified growth - ask for advice in wine shop. The 2009 (great vintage in Bordeaux) vintage wines will not be available in shops until August 2012 as they will be maturing in oak before release. Most 2009 wines available now are for consumption asap or can last a couple of years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 DeclanBrady

Hi
    I Own an Off licence in Waterford Called World Wide Wines
    You Should wait for a few year before buying the product
    Do you need to keep it for up to 20 years? if so you need to buy
    a full case a store it in a cool dry room and taste a bottle every 2-3 years
    to make sure that the wine hasent become oxoidised or lost its fruit.
    You might be able to buy a vintage port(declaration on the vintage will be out next year)
    Hope this is of some help:) and this is my first time on Boards.ie

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Welcome, Declan. I've heard great things about your beer selection.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

As Declan says, which-ever you choose buy more than one bottle in case it's spoiled for some reason when you open it. This way you'll have spares.

• Advertisement

Thanks BeerNut
    We are always looking to expand the selection
    Just got delivery of some Dogfish beers and victory Imperial stout as well as a load of beers from Scotland.
    We should have about 350 beers in stock by the middle of next month
    Hope your thirsty.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Huffer1979

Thanks everybody for your help.
    Guess I'll wait a few years, buy a case and aim to get a Bordeaux or a bottle of port.

Just one last question, is there anything I should watch out for or ask when I go to buy it, I would hate to be done by an unscrupulous shop assistant only to discover it years later. Thanks

Just make sure you go to a good Off licence
    Dont even think about going to a supermarket or wine warehouses.
    When your ready to buy post a new Thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

OP, if you don't want to wait that long, you could always buy a 05/06/07 Premier Cru Bordeaux (2005 was the best recent vintage) . A good example would be L'Heritage Chasse Spleen. Expect to pay in the region of €20-40 for these reserve wines and lay them down for 4-5 years. Not as good as a grand cru but certainly very decent wines and worth investing in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

grenache wrote: »
    OP, if you don't want to wait that long, you could always buy a 05/06/07 Premier Cru Bordeaux (2005 was the best recent vintage) . A good example would be L'Heritage Chasse Spleen. Expect to pay in the region of €20-40 for these reserve wines and lay them down for 4-5 years. Not as good as a grand cru but certainly very decent wines and worth investing in.

Ah but I think the OP specifically wants a '09 vintage wine for whatever sentimental reasons.

All indications point at a very good French vintage for '09 so could be an interesting investment.

For (almost) guaranteed longevity in your wine, look probably at Burgundy (Grand Cru) and North Cotes du Rhone. There were some problems in Bordeaux with hail destroying yields in some vineyards so prices may be a bit high for the great Bordeaux of 2009 but time will tell.

I'd look at Cote Rotie/Hermitage (North Cotes du Rhone) myself or else maybe a "Garage" wine of Bordeaux for something a bit riskier but potentially wonderful such as Bad Boy (actually a table wine).

• Advertisement
Advertisement