Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Network Switch

Options
  • 23-02-2010 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

I currently in the process of networking my home (wired). I'm using RJ45 and have the cable and faceplates. I am looking for a switch to connect them altogether. I saw this but does anyone have any other sugegstions. My broadband modem/router also Linksys I would like to keep the vendors the same, but does it make any difference

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

No need to keep vendors the same. You'll need your router to act as the DHCP server.

Do you have a cabinet/rack or do you need a desktop switch?

I have a Netgear 724 giga switch but mine is in a rack in the garage, it'd probably be a bit too noisy to have in a habitable room. Check the fan noise on what you're looking at.

Might be worth getting a rack as you can put your NAS/RAID boxes in there too.

Good luck!

SSE

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

No need to keep vendors the same. You'll need your router to act as the DHCP server.

Do you have a cabinet/rack or do you need a desktop switch?

I have a Netgear 724 giga switch but mine is in a rack in the garage, it'd probably be a bit too noisy to have in a habitable room. Check the fan noise on what you're looking at.

Might be worth getting a rack as you can put your NAS/RAID boxes in there too.

Good luck!

SSE

I'm hoping for a desktop switch, but it will be in the attic so the fan noise shouldnt be a problem at the moment, but when I convert the attic, it would be a room, so in the long term a desktop sw should be fine..Cheers

I was going to buy this Linksys

Can I have some opinions of the following
    D Link 1008D
    Netgear GS108
    Netgear GS608 its only €29.90 !
    Cisco SD2008
    D Link DGS 2208

Advertisement