Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any ideas about losing keys for apartment?

Options
  • 23-02-2010 11:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭

Hey,guys, just wondering about losing keys for apartment? one of my friend lost her keys to our apartment. it is okay for us to replace the lock for our apartment. the big problem would be the key for main gate, it is special key for that gate of block. rang the shop and has been told that it has to be ordered by landlord from manufacture. nobody can cut that key,
    i worry about these problems,such as should i talked to landlord for key replacement, and also are there any obligations to us? is that going to cause any issues at end of lease term? read through the whole lease. nothing on the contract about keys.

kinds

thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

These things happen. Contact your landlord and tell them what happened and that you need their permission to get a key cut. It's up to them to contact the Management Company, maybe they have a procedure to change the lock on the gate but I highly doubt it. I assume there was no address on the keyring or anything?

As for implications, covering the cost of the key getting cut should be the only implication. What else could there be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭gilbert

Thanks god, No address on the keys, OMG,If they want to change the lock of main gate,i can image the price would be for that lock. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

You can't change the locks on the apartment without the landlord's consent!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Security keys for gates etc- often have to be ordered directly from the manufacturer and can cost in the region of 100-200 (yes) just for the key. Normally the landlord would cover this- and deduct it from your deposit when leaving. Find out how much the key costs (though you're going to have to pay for one, come what may).

smccarrick wrote: »
    Security keys for gates etc- often have to be ordered directly from the manufacturer and can cost in the region of 100-200 (yes) just for the key.

Wow never knew they cost that much :eek: thanks

• Advertisement

Cathooo wrote: »
    Wow never knew they cost that much :eek: thanks

They can do- and the little security fob thingys can cost a fortune too (we use them to access secure areas in work and have a sliding scale of charges for those who loose them- EUR100 for your first one, EUR150 for the second and EUR200 for the third or any subsequent ones. Most of it goes to the guy who has to come out to programme new ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I imagine most landlords will have no problem with you replacing the lock on your apartment door provided that it's done properly (i.e. replaced with the same type of lock) and the landlord is given all extra keys.

Offer to get it sorted yourself and he probably won't give a crap. If you're comfortable with a screwdriver, the lock will cost no more than €30 and it'll take about 10 minutes to replace. A locksmith will probably cost upwards of €100.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭gilbert

OMG, that cost fortune. 100-200 euro!:eek:

seamus wrote: »
    I imagine most landlords will have no problem with you replacing the lock on your apartment door provided that it's done properly (i.e. replaced with the same type of lock) and the landlord is given all extra keys.

Offer to get it sorted yourself and he probably won't give a crap. If you're comfortable with a screwdriver, the lock will cost no more than €30 and it'll take about 10 minutes to replace. A locksmith will probably cost upwards of €100.

I wouldn't want our tenants hacking at the door/lock themselves tbh. If the locks needed replacing because they lost keys, I would call a locksmith but they would be responsible for the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,310 ✭✭✭✭Victor

athtrasna wrote: »
    I wouldn't want our tenants hacking at the door/lock themselves tbh. If the locks needed replacing because they lost keys, I would call a locksmith but they would be responsible for the cost.
    Anyone who is halfway handy should be able to change a lock. All you need to do is find out what model it is and replace it with an identical one. It takes about 3 minutes. I was shown how to do one and was able to do a subsequent change no problem.

Depending on the locks, I imagine €20-30 on each of a yale lock and a dead lock. They typically come with 2-3 keys already.

• Advertisement

Victor wrote: »
    Anyone who is halfway handy should be able to change a lock. All you need to do is find out what model it is and replace it with an identical one. It takes about 3 minutes. I was shown how to do one and was able to do a subsequent change no problem.

Depending on the locks, I imagine €20-30 on each of a yale lock and a dead lock. They typically come with 2-3 keys already.

I'd second this- I changed 2 locks at the weekend.
    The issue here really is with the security gate into the complex. This should be ordered immediately via the Management Company (I'm sure they've had to order them previously) and whatever it comes to- charged to the tenant.

If you are getting a locksmith out- there would presumably only be one call-out charge, so it average out a lot cheaper per door (depending on how many doors you have of course!) You should also note that balcony doors are at least as vunerable as front and back doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

athtrasna wrote: »
    You can't change the locks on the apartment without the landlord's consent!!

Why not
    Every house i lived in first thing i did change the locks so i was shure nobody could go into the house without my permission even the landlord
    (ex tenants ect with spare keys)
    When i moved out i did put back the original locks

Because you don't own the property and changing the locks without permission can be seen as trying to take possession. You are also altering the property you have leased. The landlord owns the property, you have no right to interfere with it.

It's probably against your lease too. It says in my lease that I'm not allowed to add or alter any locks without landlord's consent. Makes sense, landlord's are allowed enter the property in certain circumstances, they cant enter if they don't have correct keys.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Okay didnt know that
    Is the first time i hear about that
    Lived for 18 years in Holland and there it was a must to chance your locks before moving in by your insurance compagnie because if someone was in your house without your permission with a false or spare key and something happens u got nothing paid by them

And for here your landlord is never permitted to go in your house if you are not in the house

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

I got an extra set of keys cut for my apartment and it didn't cost that much. I had to contact the managment agency who got straight onto a locksmiths and authorised them to prepare a key for me. It cost about €18 for the main gate key to the complex and they threw in cutting the one for my front door for free.
    Maybe we have cheap gates or maybe some managment agencies are ripping the p1ss a little!?!

Advertisement