Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Veg Boxes

Options
  • 23-02-2010 9:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi, I want to start a veg garden and need to get some timbers to make a raised bed, i also need some quality top soil, manure and soil for growing carrots? Any help or hints please
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,210 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Its not advisable to grow carrots on ground that has had manure added the same year, they will fork and be mis-shaped.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Ever2010

We just bought some timber from Woodies to make our raised beds, and filled with compost. You might want to double dig the soil if you're putting carrots straight in - depending on the depth of the soil. Some veg don't like manure - so get your hands on a good veg growing guide. If you do use manure make sure that it's well rotted though.

We're growing carrots for the first time this year, but in containers in the garden - looks healthy so far - hopefully the dreaded carrot fly will stay away!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Saw some veg box kits in B & Q this week. Looked good and solid pre-treated timber.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 DKOK

Thanks for the replys, i saw the ones for sale in woodies and B&Q but they seemed expensive to me for the quality and the size of timber. I am hoping to find a sandy loam soil to grow the carrots in. I am to visit a place on saturday to see soil and boxes and will see how i get on.
    Thanks

Advertisement