Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eugene Lambert RIP

Options
  • 23-02-2010 8:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭

Just heard on Today FM that Eugene Lambert passed away.

The man that brought us judge and wanderly wagon, and the family of Bosco fame.

Has a special place in my childhood.

RIP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Sad day, I grew up watching Wanderly Wagon, and I still vividly remember visiting his theatre on a school trip in the 70’s.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭secman

Had the pleasure of meeting Eugene in a professional manner many, many years ago, an absolute GENTLEMAN, may he rest in peace.

Secman

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Wanderly Wagon, Bosco and Fortycoats. The school trip was brilliant prob one of the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Eugene and Wanderley Wagon will always bring back fond memories of growing up in the 70's.
    The highlight for me of our annual family trip to Butlins in Mosney, was seeing Eugene's puppet theatre.
    May he Rest In Peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

RIP. I went to see him in the late 70's in the Lambert Theatre (Monkstown?). Seeing him and Judge up close, was great :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

R I P eugene

• Registered Users Posts: 85,112 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

RIP. Eugene Lambert and Condolences to Family and Friends.

As a child I was a great fan of Wonderly Wagon and the puppet Theater in Monkstown, brothers attended Marion Collage with his sons Conor and Eugene.

Was very disappointed when I saw the real wonderley Wagon on display at the RDS Dog Show and saw that there was absolutely nothing inside it, never wanted to watch it after that. :mad:

Eugene was also responsible for introducing the Provisional License into Ireland when he apparently took a full license for his puppet Judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Met him a long time ago in the Puppet Theater during a school tour - he was a lovely man who contributed a lot to kids TV in Ireland. He'll be missed.

RIP, Eugene.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I can still remember him fighting with Judge while we all laughed our heads off.

Great childhood memories because of that man.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Never had the honour of meeting him, but have heard wonderful things.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭loldog

I felt sad when I heard. A little piece of my childhood there. WW was one of the best kids shows ever made anywhere and that's because of the talent of the puppeteers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

RIP to a very nice gentleman. One of my fondest memories from my own childhood is coming in from school and munching a bowl of cornflakes watching good old Judge, Crow and the rest up to some shenanigans. Eugene was a children's entertainer of the highest order.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Very sad! :( RIP Eugene and thank you and your family for the many happy childhood memories :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

Eugene was also responsible for introducing the Provisional License into Ireland when he apparently took a full license for his puppet Judge.

Pulling strings was he? :)

Rip Eugene Lambert. He did a lot for children's television in Ireland, back in a time when the station didn't have the means to begin broadcasting until 3 o'clock!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭jaykay74

RIP.

I go to the puppet theatre with the kids a few times a year. He came out after one of the shows a couple of years back. Great thrill to see him in the flesh after growing up with WW. He had great enthusiasm and love for what he did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

To Eugene

Thank You for entertaining me.

There will never be another like you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

RIP,

Sad time for his family. I've recently had the pleasure of rewatching Wanderly with my nephews. It's still as weird and entertaining as it was when I was a lass. (not that long ago in fairness)

One of my mates has been working for them for ages. I know she'll be gutted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Had the pleasure of meeting this man on many occasions as my father-in-law and myself would always bring my wife's nephew to shows out in Monkstown. His family as well were a pleasure to meet and the shows out in Monkstown were great craic for yound and old.

One of my prized possessions is signed "Wanderly Wagon" DVD that he signed from Judge and it'll never be sold.

Must go home and watch a bit of "Wanderly Wagon" as a tribute tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Like others have said,he was a big part of my childhood. Wanderly Wagon,Bosco etc. were staples of my tv viewing. Was lucky enough to see a show in Monkstown as a nipper on a school trip,great entertainment.

'Tis a sad day.:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 1nk3d4L1f3

Fond fond memories, RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Wanderly Wagon and Bosco will always have magical memories for me and my sister as we watched them during the 1970s and 1980s.

My children are now enjoying them on DVD.

What an outstanding legacy to leave behind.

Thanks for all the wonderful entertainment Eugene.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭interlocked

You know, I'd safely say that practically every Irish person of a certain age paused when they heard the news and images of a talking dog and a wamderly wagon came into their head followed by a wistful smile

Eugene Lambert brought a little bit of magic into generations of kids lives when the country was a grayer place.

It's not a bad legacy to leave behind. Thanks for the memories Eugene, may the sod lay light upon you.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭wintear

I will always remember the trip to the Lambeth Puppet Theatre on a school trip in the early 80's. Couldn't tell you what the play was but when he came out afterwards with Judge afterwards was the highlight.

RIP

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Just heard Aonghus McAnally talking about Eugene on the Radio. Missed the start of the interview but heard him say that he used to be in Wonderly Wagon. Cannot remember him in it. Who or what was Aonghus in the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

magic postman the horror! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 28 St Bunt

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Heard this yesterday,

so sad remember going on a school trip to monkstown to the theatre, never got to go again.

I heard a clip of wonderly wagon on the radio brought a smile to my face.

Huge bosco fan, back in the day, every irish child of the 70's / 80's had some interaction with the lamberts id say!

sad day.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

There's a great photo of Eugene Lambert in today's Irish Times.

eugenelambertatwork.jpg

Taken from: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/features/2010/0224/1224265087068.html

I visited RTE as a kid and was giddy walking around (supposedly) props for Wanderly Wagon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

Cheers Mate for the Happy Memories with the Wagon .

Advertisement