Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teacher Training in UK **PLEASE HELP**

Options
  • 23-02-2010 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭

Hi!

Is there anyone out there who is training to be a teacher in the UK and can provide me with some info?? I am lost in information overload hell and need some advice from someone who has been there and done that. Some qs...

1. Which are the best colleges to train in. I will be training in French teaching.

2. How do you know if your qualification from the college would be accepted in Ireland?

3. When do you receive your grant?

4. For those who are studying languages, is the interview in that foreign language? And additionally, how much notice do they usually give you when you are called for interview.

5. How important is teaching experience in the interview?

I would be so so grateful if anyone could take the time to reply, I have nobody to ask for advice except you guys at the moment. THANKS!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 computersaysno

**Portia** wrote: »
    Hi!

1. Which are the best colleges to train in. I will be training in French teaching.

2. How do you know if your qualification from the college would be accepted in Ireland?

3. When do you receive your grant?

4. For those who are studying languages, is the interview in that foreign language? And additionally, how much notice do they usually give you when you are called for interview.

5. How important is teaching experience in the interview?

I would be so so grateful if anyone could take the time to reply, I have nobody to ask for advice except you guys at the moment. THANKS!!
    Hey I'm going to dom my PGCE over in England next September :)
    1) All the colleges listed in the gttr course search are good, at the end of the day they all give the same qualification, best place to study your PGCE would probably be where you want to so your QTS year too, personally I chose my college by location, order a few prospectuses from various colleges and you'll get a feel for them that way.

2)The PGCE is accepted in Ireland but as far as I know you have to registed with the Teaching council of Ireland and maybe do a small test (I haven't looked into this cos I dont plan on coming back ever :D)

3)You apply for your grant when you start in the college that September you apply to the college and they pay it to you in monthly installments. I'm just after applying for a student fees loan that they sent me out. I think it's recommended to apply for one rather than pay the course fees upfront.

4)For languages a part of the interview is done through that language, you could be given anything from 2 months to two weeks notice- they're only required to give two weeks notice.

5)Teaching experience is CRUCIAL. some colleges will only accept exp in an English school, they're very into their work exp over there and people I ws interviewed with had years work of experience as opposed to me who had three measly days in an Irish secondary school:omy offer is on condition that I get a weeks exp in an English school which I'm doing next week.

Gimme a shout if you want to know anything else:)

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭scoopmine

Hiya that reply is very helpfull im going to be applying next year and think about liverpool! I am in third year eglish and religion teaching i do teaching practice in the couse as well.. Wondering does anyone have any tips or links to help me!

Advertisement