Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHASE 4 PLUMBING QUESTION

Options
  • 23-02-2010 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

would anyone know what topics are covered in this phase
    and are the hours the same as the fas training center
    thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

When I was in phase 4 a lot of time was spent on more advanced plumbing / heating systems. You'll learn about multiple story systems, sprinkler and steam. You'll spend some time learning how to size up a house for heating system, basic Oil boiler stuff is part of phase. Gas safety course was part of phase 4 not sure if its still same. Plenty of Gas welding along with Brazing and the usual projects, install of heating system and fab up different types of pipes just like phase 2 only more complex.

I finished up late 90's, things might have changed but I'd say its more or less same. I remember phase 4 being the most time in class over workshop, more time going over books, less time in workshop.

Hours around the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

MGM2009 wrote: »
    would anyone know what topics are covered in this phase
    and are the hours the same as the fas training center
    thanks in advance

I finished my phase 4 last december , in CIT cork .
    The hours can be different as its down to availability of rooms etc for example i was
    9-6 mon tue wed
    9-5 thur
    9-12 fri
    So more hours than the fas center usually .

The topics tend to vary slightly depending on whos teaching you and what college you get called to .
    A good deal of it is repeated from phase 2 so if you had a good teacher in phase 2 it will help basically they are
    Hot/cold water services
    Heating systems including underfloor , boiler types.
    Oil -- includes oil tanks ,burners ,safety.
    Above and below ground drainage.
    Chemical drainage .

Prob one or two more i cant think of but as i said it will vary slightly depending on where you go for example we were told pressurised hot and cold water systems is phase 6 yet there was a question in the exam on it.
    we were told gas is phase 6 yet there was a question on it in exam . We had really good lecturers etc so dunno what happened there.

Put in the effort while your there if you get 6 credits or over out of 9 exams you will get a merit for the phase which looks good for employers etc.

In terms of hours of workshop our 9-6 on mon and tue was spent entirely in the workshop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

It's been a long time since I done phase 4. The practical work was varied we started with pipe fitting with an exam and then I think we done a mock central heating system in the cubical. There is a lot more theory than phase 2 but that's to be expected you are expected to raise the anti a bit, (the majority of phase 6 is theory).

We done the GIS in phase 6 but that could be different now.

The hours are longer than FAS, FAS is a holiday camp compared to a DIT.

Where are you going to do it?

Best of luck with it by the way, good plumbers are taken for granted these day due to the cowboys out there, so keep up with your studies and take it all in and dont listen to the gob****es that WILL be in your class (theres always one or two) there the ones that end up been the butchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 MGM2009

JohnnieK wrote: »
    It's been a long time since I done phase 4. The practical work was varied we started with pipe fitting with an exam and then I think we done a mock central heating system in the cubical. There is a lot more theory than phase 2 but that's to be expected you are expected to raise the anti a bit, (the majority of phase 6 is theory).

We done the GIS in phase 6 but that could be different now.

The hours are longer than FAS, FAS is a holiday camp compared to a DIT.

Where are you going to do it?

Best of luck with it by the way, good plumbers are taken for granted these day due to the cowboys out there, so keep up with your studies and take it all in and dont listen to the gob****es that WILL be in your class (theres always one or two) there the ones that end up been the butchers.
    Thanks for advice
    im going to Enniskillen for my phase 4

Advertisement