Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ethical Egoism

Options
  • 22-02-2010 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi I am doing a dissertation for my final year of my degree and my topic is on egoism, I am wondering if anyone else has done much research on this topic and if so what do you advice reading and not reading. My proposed topic looks as so " I propose to discuss the issue of egoism but in particular to look at the question of whether ethical egoism is ethical or not? In doing so I will start by looking at egoism and the similar branches that stem from egoism such as rational egoism and show how that compares to ethical egoism. This will then lead me onto looking into the three different areas that ethical egoism can be broken up into, these being the individual, the personal and the universal. After I have discussed this I will then begin to look into other branches of ethics which come into conflict with this egoism, one of which I will be looking at will be Altruism and how it with compares against egoism, then furthermore to see how it can be contrasted to utilitarianism, in that they will be two Agent focused subjects which will be contrasted against a single subject that is agent neutral.
    I will then go onto to explain how the role of ethics is applied to the world today and the way in which ethical egoism ether does or does not fit into society at present, with a look into what alternatives of ethics that could substitute or complement egoism today.
    Philosophers which I plan to study in relation to this topic are Max Stirner and Thomas Hobbes with also looking into other philosophers which have influenced and others who have been influenced by the works of these writers."

If anyone has any criticisms on how I suggest my layout to be or if anyone knows of writers who have written more extensively on this topic please let me know, all suggestions and criticisms welcome.

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement