Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going Public - Do I have to book the scan?

Options
  • 22-02-2010 10:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi all,
    Found out a few days ago that I'm 6 weeks pregnant. In my tired and forgetful state I cannot for the life of me remember if I'm supposed to book the first scan or my doctor is. We are going public and I just got a letter from the mother and infant scheme which is grand but I'm assuming since my doctor didnt give me any forms or referral letter that I will recieve details of the first scan, hospital visit by post shortly?!? I do remember her saying it could be 20 weeks before our first scan.

What is the norm? I've read about people having to ring the hospital to arrange the first scan and some who's GP handles it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Anfield Road

You will get the number of the scan dept in you maternity hospital at your first visit and you have to ring them yourself to book your 20 week/first scan!. Just ring them up the day you get the number so you don't forget, nappy brain (that is what I called in when I was expecting mine) is dangerous lol:D!.
    Enjoy your pregnancy!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 houseman

Hi Aspoonful1, When i rang holles st to register and get first appointment, they were very good and gave me the scan date too. Ask them on the phone if they'll book it in for you.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

You need to ring and book the hospital yourself and then they contact you about booking scans etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

I booked my scan at the same time as getting BRN.
    Turned out widwife would have arranged it for me anyway. But it doesn't matter who does it and the sooner you do it the sooner you'll get a scan date! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Tmeos

Hi, I'm going public in Holles St and when I called them for my first appointment they gave me the number of the ultrasound dept to call and arrange my scan. I called when I was about 6 weeks and they gave me my appointment for 22 weeks. I'd give them a call if you are worried about it - just call up the main switch and ask to book a scan.

• Advertisement
Advertisement