Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bluetooth car stereo opinions?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

I recently (3 weeks ago) bought a Kenwood head unit for the car. When it arrived I just didn't like it from a usability point of view, also the manual was written in terrible english and had obviously been contracted out to some non english speaking.

The whole package sucked so much that I immediately put it on adverts and let it go, I then went sown to LIDL and bought their silvercrest head unit last week. Its brilliant.

Kenwood used to be such a quality make, but imo they have gone down the sink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I wouldn't agree with the above, I changed my Blaupunkt for a Kenwood BT8041U http://www.kenwood-electronics.co.uk/products/car/cd_receivers/KDC-BT8041U/ and it's a great piece of kit, great sound and functionality and there's not a thing wrong with the user manual grammar wise.

Maybe the bosses son was working the day your manual was being produced and they gave it to him to do to keep him out of trouble a while :)

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I use the Lidl car stereos too. I'm on my second one now. You sometimes have to speak up a bit for the mic to pick up your voice, but it seems to be the same on all of these stereos and bluetooth kits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'd avoid Pixmania like the plague. I bought a hifi from them which was lost apparently in transit by DHL. Took me 4 months and countless phone calls to get a refund.

EPM the OP will never pick up Today FM on one of those :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I got one of the ALDI radios with a bluetooth connection and i find it's brilliant, i've had it around 6 months, not a single problem with it. Using the bluetooth to play back music is great. The call quality is grand, as said, you may need to speak up a bit to be heard, but it works just fine. I paid 70~ quid for it, bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I had one from Aldi/Lidl and it was very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭witless_steve

If you don't want to fit the HU yourself, is there anywhere you can find a fitter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Harcrid

faigs wrote: »

I have the Sony Mex BT4700U which is basically the same stereo but with a USB port on the front. So far I have been very impressed with both the music quality and the hands free phone feature. I use it with my iPhone and it lets you stream music from your phone via bluetooth so it's a good bit of kit overall.

• Advertisement

I've used Pixmania before without any problems.

Regarding Lidl/Aldi radios, are they usually a weekly special that comes around once or twice a year or are they there most of the time?

I'm very tempted by the Sony from Pixmania. Need to fit new speakers too, not looking forward to that!

Celtxx wrote: »
    I have the Sony Mex BT4700U which is basically the same stereo but with a USB port on the front. So far I have been very impressed with both the music quality and the hands free phone feature. I use it with my iPhone and it lets you stream music from your phone via bluetooth so it's a good bit of kit overall.

What's the advantage of the usb connection to iPod versus the minijack one out of interest? Should I pay about €40 more for the usb socket?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Depends on the head unit, but USB will usually charge the iPod and there's also the possibility of iPod control from the head unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Harcrid

faigs wrote: »
    What's the advantage of the usb connection to iPod versus the minijack one out of interest? Should I pay about €40 more for the usb socket?

You can dump a load of songs onto a USB key and play it directly through the stereo. I have never used it with an iPod so I don't know how that would work.

Advertisement