Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Hand Car Parts

Options
  • 22-02-2010 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Ok, so I bought a second hand car part before Xmas and when I brought it home to the mechanic he said it was the wrong one, (for the petrol model not the diesel model) so I put it in the boot and about 6weeks later (the next time I was passing) I went to return it to the dismantlers.

Now I had a receipt, which was the worlds smallest stamp on a tiny piece of paper, but they told me that the car part was basically f!#%ed and didnt have their mark on it (which is apartently their initials scratched in with a screwdriver). I'm 110% sure that the part was exactly as they gave it to me, and the mechanic is a good friend, straight up kinda guy & he is sure it was the same part too.

Basically where do I stand in relation to this, my blood was boiling with the scum bags, they were so so rude, and basically told me to f- off even though I didnt as much as raise my voice to them.

I'm livid, I want revenge :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You essentially have the same consumer rights when buying secondhand goods from a trader as a normal part of their business as you do when buying new goods.

If you went in and specified that you wanted a part for a petrol car, then that's what you should have been given. If you didn't specify that, then it's harder.

You also need a receipt as proof of purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭dragonbet

I have a receipt and I also did ask specifically for a part for a 02 TDi Diesel Golf, I even had another friend with me who witnessed it and the car had broken down and was outside on a trailer.!!

What is the best avenue to pursue this.... small claims court???

They basically said I was lying and the car part was shagged and there was no way they would of given it out..... all the while picking her nose with her greasy fingers, slouching back on her chair smoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

First of all report her employer for allowing smoking in a place of employment.
    Then ask to speak to either the person you dealt with in the first place or the owner/manager of the establishment.
    If you get no joy, and you say you have a witness with you, take them to the small claims court for the amount and for the amount you had to spend to get it rectified.

Also if they are a member of any professional organisation that regulates them like SIMI or whatever the car dealer one is called, send them a mail explaining how the company is bringing the good name of their organisation into disrepute.

Or just go the old fashioned way of standing outside telling everyone that is going in that the company cheats their customers and cant tell a petrol car from a diesel one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

out of curosity what was the second hand part that was allegdly damaged?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

jimoc wrote: »
    Then ask to speak to either the person you dealt with in the first place or the owner/manager of the establishment.
    If you get no joy, and you say you have a witness with you, take them to the small claims court for the amount and for the amount you had to spend to get it rectified.

Also if they are a member of any professional organisation that regulates them like SIMI or whatever the car dealer one is called, send them a mail explaining how the company is bringing the good name of their organisation into disrepute.

Or just go the old fashioned way of standing outside telling everyone that is going in that the company cheats their customers and cant tell a petrol car from a diesel one :)

SIMI won't care. they are not here for the public but rather for the industry.

* Try talk to manager / owner.
    * if that fails, write a FORMAL LETTER OF COMPLAINT and post it to the business by REGISTERED POST
    * if no respons after 10 business days, go through small claims court online. Very easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,994 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

...and then enjoy the experience of being crushed after being gagged, tied up and stuffed inside the boot of a written off Mondeo.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭dragonbet

There was only one other person in the place but trust me, I made my feelings heard, can you claim for the amount it cost to rectify the problem too???
    out of curosity what was the second hand part that was allegdly damaged?

A drive for front passenger side
    RangeR wrote: »
    SIMI won't care. they are not here for the public but rather for the industry.

* Try talk to manager / owner.
    * if that fails, write a FORMAL LETTER OF COMPLAINT and post it to the business by REGISTERED POST
    * if no respons after 10 business days, go through small claims court online. Very easy.

The lard ass smoking the fag behind the counter was the owner.... I know they will treat a formal letter as toilet paper but if it would help my case I'll do it straight away and send it Registered Post.

Thanks for all the help :):)

dragonbet wrote: »
    The lard ass smoking the fag behind the counter was the owner.... I know they will treat a formal letter as toilet paper but if it would help my case I'll do it straight away and send it Registered Post.

Thanks for all the help :):)

My point being, if you can prove that you gave them every chance to rectify the issue, it may look favourably on you from the SCC point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

they told me that the car part was basically f!#%ed
    So they sold a part that was not only not suitable for you, but was also broken? How much was the part? I'm thinking solicitors letter...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,930 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Now I had a receipt, which was the worlds smallest stamp on a tiny piece of paper, but they told me that the car part was basically f!#%ed and didnt have their mark on it (which is apartently their initials scratched in with a screwdriver). I'm 110% sure that the part was exactly as they gave it to me, and the mechanic is a good friend, straight up kinda guy & he is sure it was the same part too.
    the_syco wrote: »
    So they sold a part that was not only not suitable for you, but was also broken? How much was the part? I'm thinking solicitors letter...

The scrappers are saying the OP has brought back a different part to the one they gave him/her not that the part they gave was broken. The OP's mechanic says that part is for a different version of the car. The OP claims that the part they brought back is the part they where given and the scrappers are saying this is broke.

OP to see if their claim that the parts they sell have their "mark" on them, could you get a friend to "buy" an expensive item and see if that's marked. Possibly even the same type you got. If it is you don't really have much come back but if it isn't you have a bit more ammo for the SCC.

• Advertisement

Hey OP, how did this turn out in the end or is it still on going?

Advertisement