Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest HTPC?

Options
  • 22-02-2010 8:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭

Hi. My Dad's dvd player went kaput recently.

I was thinking I could build a small HTPC for him but I'm wondering is it too cost prohibitive?

I'll put a dvd payer in it but I want him to be able to record tv onto the hard drive.

What bballpark figure am I looking at? It doesn't have to be Hi-Def.

What kind of tv card do I need? We only have the normal NTL. Can I receive the free to air digital stations through the HTPC?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

Cheapest options can vary depending on you needs and where/what you buy: adverts.ie is a great place to pick up bargains.

You can to pay from 100-1000 Euro depending on your needs, but 300 would be the max i'd pay for a really good spec second hand unit on adverts.

Freesat can be recieved on a HTPC if you have a DVB-S card and a sat dish with feeds running to the HTPC. See " http://www.freesat.co.uk/ " for what you can get. If your in an area with DTT coverage you can get RTE digital (well the test signal) for this you'll need a DVB-T card. You may need to have a arial attic or outdoor to recieve this , then again you might just need a set of "rabbit ear" . There is loads of info/comments in the boards DTT section :- " http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=56 "

For Software I's recommend Mediaportal (freeware) running with the modded TSwriter by DJBlu " http://forum.team-mediaportal.com/general-development-no-feature-request-here-48/sky-uk-uk-freesat-epg-43261/ " . The mod provides a 7 days EPG/program guide which is taken directly from the DVB-S signal. MediaPortal once set up is excellent , it also supports the MS windows media centre remote. There are lots of guide out there for Media Portal.

From a hardware side I'd recommend at least a dual core pc of some kind, an official MS windows media centre remote , the TV tuner you get must be "BDA" compatible. At least 2gb of ram and at least 250-500 gig hard-drive. The graphic on-board or other wish should have a HDMI port that can carry sound and video .

Do you research of Mediaportal or the alternate MS media centre. I'd recommend Mediportal running on XP over anything else that's out there.

This is all my opinion but I hope it help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭slegs

Just to add I think Mediaportal is also good but I still think it is hard to beat Windows Media Centre on Windows 7. There are some very cheap mini HTPC options now like the Acer Revo R3610 which come with Windows 7 on board and full HD capabilties.

Advertisement