Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

OCTAVIA COMBI 1.8 TSI

Options
  • 22-02-2010 7:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of forking for one of these. Seems like a cracking motor on paper. Just slightly concerned about juice consumption.

They quote 40 odd to the gallon but that's pie I'm sure.

Any opinions?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I suspect you are correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭vw4life

I used to get 41-45mpg out off my '03 golf gti and thats town and m-way.any car will be heavy on juice if your flyin everywhere.I'd say the octy would be the same

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Don't have any idea.... but I still have an opinion ;-)
    Arent TSI a turbo combined with FSI? Which was pretty economical for light driving

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭Zonda999

They're a cracking car alright and thats a cracking engine for it too, cheaper than you might think too, afaik, you cant get any more powerful(160bhp) new car for less. Afraid so on the juice though, a friend of mine has one, moved to it from a vRS and finds it practically as thirsty as the vRS, he gets little over 40mpg when cruising on the motorway and little more than 30 everywhere else, he says it is a fantastic engine though, plenty of go when wanted and extremely quiet too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Well I just searched for it and got figures around 28-32 mpg. Maybe not too bad for flying around.

Seems to be close to vrs performance yet still 'everydayish'. I mean it's 160 brake and 0-100 in 7 something. Comes in at 24k for a straight deal on the Elegance spec.

Not too shabby, so I think I might.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Zonda999 wrote: »
    They're a cracking car alright and thats a cracking engine for it too, cheaper than you might think too, afaik, you cant get any more powerful(160bhp) new car for less. Afraid so on the juice though, a friend of mine has one, moved to it from a vRS and finds it practically as thirsty as the vRS, he gets little over 40mpg when cruising on the motorway and little more than 30 everywhere else, he says it is a fantastic engine though, plenty of go when wanted and extremely quiet too

Cheers Zonda - this is what I was thinking. Wicked motor for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Don't forget (if buying new) that the DSG is only €650 moree to buy, but better (well, a bit) on juice and €150 less to tax a year because it's in a lower CO2 bracket. 7 speed too, as opposed to 6 speed on the diesels.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭obi604

Don't forget (if buying new) that the DSG is only €650 moree to buy, but better (well, a bit) on juice and €150 less to tax a year because it's in a lower CO2 bracket. 7 speed too, as opposed to 6 speed on the diesels.

Very tempting. From what ive read, The DSG gearbox in not supposed to be great though.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

obi604 wrote: »
    Very tempting. From what ive read, The DSG gearbox in not supposed to be great though.

This thread is old man...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement