Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

expansion tank problem

Options
  • 22-02-2010 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

can anybody give me advice, i have a expansion tank in my attic, when the heating is turned on the pressure gauge goes from 1.5 to 2.5, plus the rad nearest the tank is not working, can anyone help me

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

paudge52 wrote: »
    can anybody give me advice, i have a expansion tank in my attic, when the heating is turned on the pressure gauge goes from 1.5 to 2.5, plus the rad nearest the tank is not working, can anyone help me

Are you sure heating is filled from expansion tank? Pressure seems a bit high only coming from gravity, rad might not be working as its full of air or system could do with a balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 paudge52

I not sure if the heating system is filled from the expansion tank, you see we had the attic coverted a few years ago and the builders put in the expansion tank, what do you mean the system may not be balanced, thanks for your reply:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

Sounds like your system could be filled from mains, attic rad is more or less at same level as filling tank so rad wont fill / vent properly, to get around this most connect mains to heating for filling, best try and find out where heating is being filled before you can have rad working again.

Water circulates around heating system, rads and cylinders should be balanced so that all receive equal amounts of circulation. Rads have two valves, one flow other return, flows can be controlled by user returns should be set an left set.

Returns should never be more than 2 turns open from closed, your cylinder should have a balancing valve located on bottom pipe going into side of cylinder (coil), that valve should only be opened slightly from closed.

What your doing is restricting flows, rads closest to boiler / pump should be more restricted than the rad furthest away, cylinder coil is 3/4" so pumps power will lessen if cylinder coil is left wide open which effects rads.

You might just have a air lock in rad, find filler and vent rad, if still no joy turn off all rads except that one, vent again, if still no joy then system could do with balancing.

Advertisement