Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating Upgrade/Service

Options
  • 22-02-2010 4:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi, would anyone be able to give me an idea as to costs on servicing/upgrading a gas heating system.

Just bought a house that has an old Baxi? back boiler heating system and have been told it would need to be upgraded to a condenser? boiler (think I have that right!)

All advise and costs gratefully accepted!!

Kar

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

That was the BER asseser no doubt. The boiler is supply and fit comes to about 2500. There is a grant available for it as far as i know.

assuming of course its a standard house and not in need of new controls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

BER Assessors particularly one's with no plumbing back ground are great for giving advise on heating systems with out even knowing what work and hardship is involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 kar_mba

Believe it or not the BER assessor never mentioned the heating! Just the insulating and windows (but they're fine) It was my surveyor and a builder I had out to give it the once over before I made any decision to buy!

How do you mean new controls? The controls at the minute are a wee brown box with timer and manual override switch on the side of the chimney breast where the boiler is.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Why I mention the BER asser is because I had one in my house. My boiler is 5 years old. Which is not old. He told me I need to change it for a condensing boiler. I think this is the norm with them at the moment.

However whilst I understand the reasoning the logic of getting rid of such a young boiler is as wasteful.

How old is the current boiler in the house??? Just because its not condensing does not mean it needs to be changed.

Controls are the thermostat, the zone valves etc for hot water or zone control.TRV'S on the RAD, usually they are fine but

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 kar_mba

We have the same heating system in my parents house and that's at least 20 years old, so I'm assuming this would be just as old, if not older! As for the controls, what you have described sounds like what's on the side of the chimney breast alright, so I would think, if the whole system is being re-vamped, they would have to be done as well and moved?!? I'm probably completely wrong though!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 169

My oil burner is 4 years old, would I be right in saying that even with the SEI €700 grant that it would be uneconomic to replace it. I am assuming that my burner is 80% efficient and a condensing burner would be 95% efficient so the payback would be very long.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

169 wrote: »
    My oil burner is 4 years old, would I be right in saying that even with the SEI €700 grant that it would be uneconomic to replace it. I am assuming that my burner is 80% efficient and a condensing burner would be 95% efficient so the payback would be very long.

Your oil burner is fine. As long as it's serviced properly and a new nozzle every year it's fine. A condensing boiler alone is no good with out proper controls. zoned heating controls that is. And the €700 goes toward the controls as well.

Advertisement