Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving mid-month - no lease

Options
  • 22-02-2010 3:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭

Hi there,
    I'm hoping someone can give me advice please?

My husband and I have been renting a house from a private landlord for the last 2 and a half years. We signed a lease for one year and when that year was up it was never renewed although we continued to rent the house.

We are now moving to a cheaper house as 'in the current climate' we are finding it hard to pay the rent where we are. So basically the sooner the better. We found a house and rang our landlord last week to give him 4 weeks notice. This would bring us up to the middle of next month.

My query is - is it acceptable to pay only half of next month's rent as we are moving out in the middle of the month given that the lease has long since expired.

We shall be expecting our full deposit back as we have kept the house very well. We have been very good tenants, always paying on time etc.

Is it just up to the landlord??

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

As there is no lease in place, legally you should be giving 56 days notice, not a month. I would talk to the LL about the last month, you shouldn't be expected to pay for it when you're not there.

Most LL's will be reasonable

Advertisement