Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newspaper: Vodafone to cut off inactive phones & take unused credit

Options
  • 22-02-2010 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭

I don't really understand this newspaper report, I thought Vodafone did this already!

I know I have lost some nice numbers and SIMs that I had stored away and forgotten to top up, over the years.

Have matters changed recently? Is there any EU legislation that prevents the taking of credit or the SIM? (unlikely)

The Independent - Monday February 22 2010

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/vodafone-to-cut-off-inactive-phones-and-take-unused-credit-2073796.html

Vodafone to cut off inactive phones and take unused credit

By Breda Heffernan
    Monday February 22 2010

THE country’s largest mobile phone operator, Vodafone, is to disconnect accounts that are infrequently used, and snaffle any unused credit on the phones.

There are fears that Vodafone’s tightening up of terms and conditions will hit those who keep a mobile phone for emergencies – including the elderly and young children.

The operator claims it is changing its terms from next month in a bid to recycle old mobile phone numbers that are no longer used.

Vodafone customers who don’t top-up their pre-paid mobile phone within eight months will have their account disconnected and lose any unused credit.

They could also face losing their number if they don’t reactivate it within the following six months.

The Consumers’ Association of Ireland said that while it was reasonable to try and re-use old mobile phone numbers, it was “completely unacceptable” that customers lose any credit remaining on their phones.

Chief executive Dermott Jewell said: “It’s the closest thing to putting your hand in someone’s pocket and taking what’s there.”

Eamon Timmins, spokesman for Age Action Ireland, warned older people caught out by the change will “vote with their feet” and change operator.

“Older people tend to vote with their feet and if Vodafone let them down, they will move elsewhere,” he added.

In a statement, Vodafone said there was a regulatory requirement to recycle the finite pool of mobile phone numbers.

It said it chose an eight-month recycling rule as the “overwhelming majority” of customers whose accounts aren’t topped-up within that timeframe become completely inactive.

- Breda Heffernan

Irish Independent

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭leche solara

Current arrangement is you must top up every 6 months, after that you can't make calls but can still receive them for another 6 months. After that the account is closed and number may be recycled. Credit only disappears at this stage. New set up seems to be initial 6 months is changing to 8, but credit is being taken 4 months earlier than at present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Jesus, most be a slow news day at Indo Towers. It's pretty much standard practice across all operators that if you don't top up the account after a certain length of time (<1 year), it gets closed.
    Eamon Timmins, spokesman for Age Action Ireland, warned older people caught out by the change will “vote with their feet” and change operator.

“Older people tend to vote with their feet and if Vodafone let them down, they will move elsewhere,” he added.
    Bit of a weak argument tbh.
    Surely if someone's account ends up being closed, it's because it's not being topped up, in which case Vodafone aren't making any money off them anyway :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭StephenM_smc

Am I missing something, or for the people who have a pile of credit on their account and rarely ever use the network, would they not be more profitable customers? I know my grandfather rarely uses his phone but tops up with €20 every time to keep it active, and often as a problem of using up the credit.

Apart from taking up phone numbers does it cost the carrier anything to have these customers?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Its a little over the top from the indo imo. This was announced last month that they were changing the terms slightly, but i didn't see it as a big enough reason to post on here. The amount of people this will effect will be very little, and the terms have always been this way, just the timing is changing, and not until the 15th of next month

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

To be honest I think it's only right....eight months is a long time for no activity!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭v10

Am I missing something, or for the people who have a pile of credit on their account and rarely ever use the network, would they not be more profitable customers? I know my grandfather rarely uses his phone but tops up with €20 every time to keep it active, and often as a problem of using up the credit.

Apart from taking up phone numbers does it cost the carrier anything to have these customers?

Then your grandfather wouldn't be cut off .. its the people who don't have any activity in eight months that get cut off

.. as long as you put any credit (even a fiver) on the phone at least every six months your number will be fine.

.. no topup in 8 months disconnected.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Then your grandfather wouldn't be cut off .. its the people who don't have any activity in eight months that get cut off

.. as long as you put any credit (even a fiver)

This is based on credit, not activity. You could use a phine the odd time (activity) but this may not prevent you getting cut off.

They should be obliged to send a couple of texts warning people in good time, to give them the opportunity to top up.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

My father got this message today and he has 170 euro credit in his phone and voda said tuff we are cutting you off and keeping your credit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

My father got this message today and he has 170 euro credit in his phone and voda said tuff we are cutting you off and keeping your credit.

I doubt this. If he tops up by €10 he'll be fine for 6 months. This would be good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Don't dredge up ancient threads, start a new one instead. Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement