Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for advice

Options
  • 22-02-2010 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

The partner has a dream of getting a motor home for the family (2 adults/3 kids), not my cup of tea but we cant easily trade in the partner!!!

I've no idea of what to look for etc, and to understand the sort of hole this would make in my pocket I'm asking here from all you experts for advice etc

Where do I start?

Thanks
    W.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

If I were you, I'd start with renting one for a week.

You're either into this kind of thing or you're not ...and it would be a shame to spend a lot of money on a motorhome only to use it but once a year and then reluctantly.

Try it first.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭garth-marenghi

I was thinking about doing the same myself. Hire out for a week to see what we think of it. The rates however, are really high for a two berth even from the established hirers, and the distance you have to go to pick up. (I live in the North West) :(

It looks like to be affordable you need to approach it another way alright and try and rent privately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Well its a good time to buy in that 2 years ago campers particularly second hand were a lot more expensive.
    I would say either rent with a notion of buying from a dealer...and they should refund you the rental should you buy possibly??
    Or else borrow one if @ all possible from a friend etc. to see if its for you.

I would recommend getting the biggest one you can accomodate in your driveway (without being ridiculous of course!!) so that if you are away on a weekend and the weather is poor as it often is then you wont mind being in it with the kids all weekend!

Budget...theres one for everyones pocket so decide what you can afford yourself and then maybe have a look on donedeal.ie/ adverts.ie for an idea of prices (which are usually negotiable ;) )
    Cheers,
    Marty.

Advertisement