Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to make the silky colour effect?

Options
  • 22-02-2010 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭

I don't even know if that's an accurate way of describing this effect, but I'd like to use it in a little something I'm working on.
    I'm just wondering how to create these colours and what might be used to create them?

colours.png

I have access to Photoshop and Illustrator, if it matters.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

photoshop or illustrator would be used, not too sure how to do it though

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

The closest to it I can think of would be to use layers and draw the individual 'strands' in the design for want of a better word. Then apply a gradient overlay to each of the layers and have the gradient setup to match the colours as per the image you linked to. It wouldnt give the exact effect as that image has a lot of shading and tones in it which would be hard to replicate unless you were very good at photoshop.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Just use a custom brush there are hundreds out there, do a google search for photoshop free brushes and or free shapes. Some sort of smoke brush would give you an effect similar to that in the picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

If you're stuck for time you can probably buy something like that in .eps format at istockphoto.com

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭D Hayes

Here's a Photoshop tutorial on creating something similar to what you want. This isn't quite the silk effect but not far off it:

http://psd.tutsplus.com/tutorials/tutorials-effects/creating-a-stunning-digital-smoke-effect/

• Advertisement
Advertisement