Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buzzards

Options
  • 22-02-2010 9:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭

Saw/heard 5 (not greenfinches ;-) soaring over Kildare on Saturday. Wonderful.

Then on Saturday evening had 2 roost in a tree opposite the house. Now, I've often seen one fly past the house at dusk in the direction of that tree as if it was about to land but it always evaded me. Turns out it might fly past the treee and double back like I saw it do on Saturday.

Question: - Any chance oh knowledgeable ones that the pair might nest there this summer?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Every chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

The rabbit population seems to be doing well in most parts. Rabbits are one of buzzards favourite prey, so this should mean a good breeding season for them.

Strangely Rabbits aren't as big a portion of a Buzzard's diet as we can be led to believe. Having watched and researched Buzzards for many years (including the pair that nest within 200 meters of my home) their diet is much more varied than many books would suggest. Pigeon, Crow, Frogs, Worms, all seem to feature before Rabbit.

Strangely Rabbits aren't as big a portion of a Buzzard's diet as we can be led to believe. Having watched and researched Buzzards for many years (including the pair that nest within 200 meters of my home) their diet is much more varied than many books would suggest. Pigeon, Crow, Frogs, Worms, all seem to feature before Rabbit.

Thats interesting, the accepted wisdom has always been that rabbit was the main prey species. But that is in the UK, possibly our buzzards behave differently? Our rabbit population fluctuates dramaticly from year to year (Myxomatosisand the haemorrhagic virus) so maybe our buzzards haven't become so dependant on bunnies. They are relatively recent recolonizers and their rearrival would have coincided with the decimation of the rabbit population from disease. This may have led to different feeding habits from the British birds. Of course they have the rabbit diseases in Britain too so all of this is conjecture! All this talk about buzzards feeding reminds me that I haven't seen one 'dancing' for worms in ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

I have some great pics (will post at a later date) of African Battler Eagles chasing/hunting insects after a rain shower in Africa. They gathered on the ground in groups of about 20. Great sight.

EDIT: - Thanks for the confirmation Srameen.

• Advertisement

...their rearrival would have coincided with the decimation of the rabbit population from disease.

Just to confuse the issue. The return of Buzzards to the North East and East Coasts in the early 90s did coincide with the return of Rabbit numbers to pre-mexy numbers.:)
    Buzzards eat principally small rodents, but also take birds, reptiles, amphibians, larger insects and earthworms. Prey up to 500g is taken by active predation, anything heavier is usually carrion or seriously enfeebled individuals.
    Gamebirds are sometimes taken, though they make up only a tiny proportion of the total number of pheasants and red-legged partridges released for shooting. Carrion can form a significant part of buzzard diet, although the amount of carrion taken varies a lot from place to place.

Norwegian Study: http://www.ornisfennica.org/pdf/vol84-3/1Selas.pdf.

The "rabbit is the main prey" line is overly simplistic.

Hopefully E39MSport will get to watch prey being brought to the nest and to the mate over the coming months and can tell us how often he saw Rabbit on the menu.

That would be great.

I have a PTZ IP camera with 22 optical zoom at the front of the house at a good height that can be easily trained on the tree.

You may have to include 'unidentifiable roadkill' on the feeding roster!

You may have to include 'unidentifiable roadkill' on the feeding roster!

:D:D

Quite often actually. :)

re: diet.

There's one in a tree about 100 metres away from me eating a frog right now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement