Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 NFL Scouting Combine and general NFL Draft business

Options
  • 22-02-2010 1:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭

Hope the mods don't mind but I thought with the Combine this week we should have a definitive draft thread aside from the Tebow one. Should compliment the trade one and the banter one also...

Some great videos on NFL Scouting page. The Suh video is great, in training with Michael Johnson.

Talk that the Rams and Buccaneers may engineer a trade, meaning the Buccs supplant the Rams to 1 with the latter moving to 3 with Josh Johnson and a 3rd rounder. I'm in two minds, they've spent a lot on their D Line (2 of their last 3 1st round picks went there) and they get a prospect at QB. On the other hand he is considered a once in every couple of decades kind of talent at the position so passing on him could be a mistake, particularly if they could get Vick or even a guy in round 2 at QB.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

Moving to 3 with a servicable backup in the trade means we can possibly take the best QB in the draft basically at a profit... unless the Bucs are coming up to get whoever they think we're taking?

Definitely would not be happy if it meant some kind of Josh Johnson starts now - late round QB taken to start next year trade-off. If Matt Ryan, Mark Sanchez, Matt Stafford and Joe Flacco have taught us anything, it's pick the best guy there and play him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Try blocking this rookie DE with his 'spin' move:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Holy crap! :eek:

Looking forward to the draft this year, as always.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I know nothing at all about college football but I love the draft. Last year was my first year really following it and I can't wait for this years either. I've been watching plenty of videos on nfl.com and reading mock drafts etc. Does anyone know if Sky are covering it this year? Last years coverage was very poor with a rushed two hour special on the first round all we got.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/25/schefter-theres-no-way-the-rams-wont-pick-sam-bradford-at-no-1/

So if you can't read what that hyperlink's implying...

Adam Schefter, ex-NFLN, now ESPN, says the Rams are definitely going to take Sam Bradford at number one.

To be honest, great. No messing about with trades. No DT because of supposed better value. Take who your people think is the best quarterback, and then get to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Karlusss wrote: »
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/25/schefter-theres-no-way-the-rams-wont-pick-sam-bradford-at-no-1/

So if you can't read what that hyperlink's implying...

Adam Schefter, ex-NFLN, now ESPN, says the Rams are definitely going to take Sam Bradford at number one.

To be honest, great. No messing about with trades. No DT because of supposed better value. Take who your people think is the best quarterback, and then get to work.

Messing about? If the Buccs is so enamoured by Suh and Bradford is your guy, jump at the deal. He'll be there at 3, just don't bother with Josh Johnson, get another pick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

ESPN have really changed Schefters reporting style. I've never seen him make such bold statements like this before, obviously it's a way of getting him and ESPN in the spotlight. Even throwing in digs and Kipper and Mcshay. Tbh any teams front office who have decided exactly who there number 1 pick is at this stage needs to be fired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

ESPN have really changed Schefters reporting style. I've never seen him make such bold statements like this before, obviously it's a way of getting him and ESPN in the spotlight. Even throwing in digs and Kipper and Mcshay. Tbh any teams front office who have decided exactly who there number 1 pick is at this stage needs to be fired.

I have to disagree with that. 90% of scouting is complete for most of the teams now, the college players have finished their playing on the field where most of the scouting is conducted.

The combine and pro days just finsih off the last 10% that you couldnt see on the field, mostly medical and pesonality stuff. Do you really grade a player higher because he ran a 40 faster that expected? If he couldnt do it on the college field with that speed what makes people think he could do it on the NFL field? Unless you are Al Davies of course :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Hazys wrote: »
    I have to disagree with that. 90% of scouting is complete for most of the teams now, the college players have finished their playing on the field where most of the scouting is conducted.

The combine and pro days just finsih off the last 10% that you couldnt see on the field, mostly medical and pesonality stuff. Do you really grade a player higher because he ran a 40 faster that expected? If he couldnt do it on the college field with that speed what makes people think he could do it on the NFL field? Unless you are Al Davies of course :p

Yeah I'd agree with Hazy. The problem for a lot of teams has been that they get sucked in by players that work out fantastically. Look at the Raiders with DHB or Russel or the Jets with Vernon Golston. The work done on the field should be held to a much higher standard than what they do in Indy in shorts and tshirts. The only exception to that in my mind would be the interview and the physical. If they throw up flags the team should look elsewhere in relation to their first rounders.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Yeah Shefter was great on Total Access, he came across as extremelly well informed, now at ESPN he comes across as a smug wanker.

If the Rams love Bradford, take him. Just get the best deal possible for him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Hazys wrote: »

Well a player telling who tells me the first thing he'll do when he signs a big contract is go to vegas then won't be my number 1 pick. While all the scouting is done the interview process is huge imo. Not only that, but the combine is great to see how players can perform when the real pressure is on and the spotlight is on them. In a team sport most players can shurk a bit of the responsibility if they lose, at the combine they can't. Not only that but specifically on Bradford nailing him on now as number 1 before you know anything about his shoulder injury or have seen him throw is pretty stupid. If team announces his number 1 now he puts that player he a great position when it comes to working out a contract.

Also Frostie, JR was a consensus top QB by every team because of his performance for LSU, he didn't just appear on boards after his pro day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

it's the whole jerry rice thing. Do you trust a 40 run without pads (which could be a stone) or go with what they run wearing them. With some guys the difference's huge, with others it's the same. I'd always draft the guy who's almost the same.

Or you could obviously totally disregard the underwear olympics time and go with the one that has relevance to actual football?

All the Combine really shows is the outstanding workers. If you spend the time after the college season closes practicing lifting and techniques for the 40 etc just so you can catch that scout's eye if you haven't already, that says something for your character and what you're gonna do when you're bottom of the depth chart.

Or alternately it shows the physical beasts, which doesn't mean a whole lot - Gholston is one, Brady isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Emmet Ryan

I wouldn't touch Bradford with a high pick. He had one big year and that was behind a brilliant line and then he got hurt. That's simply not enough to judge him on. There are better options that have been good for longer and more importantly shown a good pattern of development.

Suh has shown that pattern of development over his time at Nebraska and while Gerald McCoy also looked good this year he, like Bradford, just doesn't have the CV to risk the first overall pick on.

Yeah but the fact is the Rams have the number one pick and no quarterback. Taking Suh would be pointless. We actually cannot win with the situation as-is right now, and we still couldn't win with the best DT of the decade, because we cannot get points on the board.

We need to pick the best QB. A trade to 3 isn't a terrible idea but if it means taking your second choice QB instead of your first, it's not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Emmet Ryan wrote: »
    I wouldn't touch Bradford with a high pick. He had one big year and that was behind a brilliant line and then he got hurt. That's simply not enough to judge him on. There are better options that have been good for longer and more importantly shown a good pattern of development.

Suh has shown that pattern of development over his time at Nebraska and while Gerald McCoy also looked good this year he, like Bradford, just doesn't have the CV to risk the first overall pick on.

Sam Bradford was the highest rated prospect last year if he came out. He would have gone number 1 easily. To say that he had only one productive season isnt accurate. As a freshman he competed 70% of his throws for over 3000 yards with 36 TDs and only 8 ints. His sophomore Heisman winning season was incredible with nearly 5000 yards and 50 TDs again with only 8 ints. The only question mark about Bradford is his health after his shoulder injuries this year. There is no doubt whatsover over his ability.

Who are the better options? Clausen? He has injury concerns just like Bradford and he hasnt shown anything like the ability of Bradford. Bradford showed leadership ability from the moment he stepped onto campus in Norman and was very productive. Clausen came in and was very disappointing. He didnt win the starters job as a freshman-this isnt intended to be a knock against him, but Bradford won the job and performed very well. In year two, when Bradford won the Heisman, Clausen was incredibly erratic throwing 17 interceptions, it was only in their bowl game that season that he started to show some promise. Last year he was productive but there are injury concerns.

Who else is there that can be considered on a par to Bradford? Colt McCoy isnt on the same level(this is coming from a Longhorns fan) and cant be considered as a top prospect as things stand. Tim Tebow? Dan LeFevour? There are no clear cut qbs that don't have some issue whether it is talent or health.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

I thought McCoy hurt is Stock in the draft tbh with his very poor attempt with the reps where as Suh in my opinion as concreted his position as best player in the draft!

After the combine does anyone else find it possible that Rams will now take Suh instead of trading down to get bradford and then take Tebow in the second round.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

After the combine does anyone else find it possible that Rams will now take Suh instead of trading down to get bradford and then take Tebow in the second round.

Definate possibility. I know theres all this talk from Shefter saying the want Bradford, but really they have so many issues that Ii think Suh makes more sense.

If I was wit the Rams I would be taking Suh in the first & Jerry Hughes in the second.

if they want to draft a QB this year perhaps Pike or LeFevour in the third or in my opinion hold on another season and go for Jake Locker next season. They aint going to make the playoffs next season so build a strong team and then get your Franchise QB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭TheHeadhunter

Taylor Mays just tied Chris Johnson with a unofficial 4.24 40 time. The guy is a physical freak!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Taylor Mays?

I wonder where he'll get a draft to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Taylor Mays?

I wonder where he'll get a draft to.

Firstly take the unoffical time with a pinch of salt. The NFL network had CJ Spiller matching Chris Johnsons time and then the official time was a tenth of a second more. NFL network hand time so there is scope for it to be wrong

As to where he will get drafted lots of boards have him going to the Eagles hes fast hes strong but his coverage skills arnt the best but lets see. I have him going to the Saints on my first draft after that 40 though he might move up on the boards

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭DBIreland

Taylor Mays just tied Chris Johnson with a unofficial 4.24 40 time. The guy is a physical freak!

Official time of 4.43, looks like NFL Network got this one wrong by quite a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Interestingly, the 2 fastest guys in the 40 were both world ranked in the 100m last year.

Trindon Holliday ran 10.00 and Jacoby Ford ran 10.01.

Advertisement