Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Apparel Ireland - Advice Needed

Options
  • 21-02-2010 10:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi all,

I'm currently living in New Zealand and have discovered a range of excellent all-weather, breathable, non-restrictive golf wear (designed and distributed by a relatively small operation here) that I think would do really well in Ireland given the similarities in climate. And given the Euro versus NZ dollar strength, there would be serious 'bang for your buck' for Irish golfers. But, having been out of Ireland so long, I'm not sure where to even start!

So I'm wondering if you kind folk on this forum could tell me how you procure your golf apparel? If there is one main online centre, would you point me in the right direction? I'm not looking to make a living out of it or anything - it's just really good quality, affordable kit and there might be good opportunities for Irish resellers out there!

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

more details needed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

In terms of bricks n' mortar stores, McGuirks are the biggest. Other stores include Nevada Bob's and Ha'penny Golf.

www.golfstoreeurope.com are in the north of Ireland, and very popular on this forum, along with a couple of other .co.uk sites I'm not so familiar with... golf direct or something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭BillyBoy

In terms of bricks n' mortar stores, McGuirks are the biggest. Other stores include Nevada Bob's and Ha'penny Golf.

www.golfstoreeurope.com are in the north of Ireland, and very popular on this forum, along with a couple of other .co.uk sites I'm not so familiar with... golf direct or something like that?

www.directgolf.co.uk and www.onlinegolf.co.uk are the two that are usually mentioned on here by most people along with www.golfstoreeurope.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Littlest_Hobo

Thanks a million ShriekingSheet and BillyBoy. Very much appreciated.

Conno16, what else would you like to know? Happy to provide.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Kace

OK Hobo I'm curious, can you pass us on the details of your apparel company website. Are you aspiring to be the next Galvin Green ?

• Advertisement

Haha, I'm not quite in that league, Kace!

Not sure about the boards.ie rules around posting web links like that (might be construed as advertising??)... but will PM it to you no bother!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Haha, I'm not quite in that league, Kace!

Not sure about the boards.ie rules around posting web links like that (might be construed as advertising??)... but will PM it to you no bother!

Put a link to it in your signature!

Click on "User CP", then "Edit Signature".

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

He won't be allowed a signature until he has more posts.. 25 i think.
    But since he asked nicely beforehand, I (mod) say fire up a link anyway :)

Grand - thanks for that Licksy. The infamous link is....

www.3Under.co.nz

Would be keen to hear your comments on it on its suitability for the Irish market?

I believe (current economic climate and all that jazz) that many items will be on sale soon which would make it better value again for the Euro spenders out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭stockdam

At first glance the prices look expensive but maybe the stuff is very good quality.

1€= 1.9 NZ$

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭f22

Have to agree, at those prices you're into the Galvin Green / Sunice goretex bracket. Can't see them penetrating any European market to be honest although I'm sure the quality is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

The website hasn't been updated since last year?

A little bit overpriced for an unknown brand. Even if you had a couple of specials or a sale on, offer good price on shipping in the euro market. You might get somewhere and break into the market, it only takes a few internet users that like the product to start spreading the word. But as the lads said the price range is going up against well known brands which have already proven their worth.

Another huge obstacle is VAT/Duty which will add another 30% to the import price.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,981 ✭✭✭G1032

Hobo

For those of us who don't live in Dublin/Leinster/East of the Shannon (because believe it or not there are Boards users who don't live in Leinster!!) there is a shop in Galway called Golfstyle. This is the biggest in golf shop in the West of Ireland, and possibly even Ireland. Good deals to be had if you're a regular customer.
    I get a good bit of equipment there or else I would get it on www.onlinegolf.co.uk
    I would use the online store more for clothes/wet gear etc.

Thanks everyone for your feedback/ info.

The gear is definitely a premium range - it is seriously good kit, but point taken on the price. Apparently the manufacturing costs are going way down on what they were when the company started so their prices will follow suit.. but it's still an unknown brand.. Hmmm.

And yep, Stevire - website is definitely overdue for an update!

Thanks again all. I'm off to have a ponder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

Hmmm, prices are VERY expensive.

$119 for an "under armour" style top is off the wall, esp when you add shipping, duty etc.

With that sort of premium brand you're trying to compete with Galvin Green, which will mean expense setting up here.

You'll need reps on the ground if you want to get into stores, heavy advertisement to get the brand recognised, and good quality promotional stuff/freebies.

These all cost a lot of money.

However if you're going the internet route there may be a niche, if the stuff was literally half the price it is.

Boards is a good place to start, nice work:D

All freebies gladly accepted;)

JCDUB wrote: »
    All freebies gladly accepted;)

As you were last here to give advise kindly move to the back of the queue :p

Advertisement