Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retro games in Dublin?

Options
  • 21-02-2010 10:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭

I've recently dug out all my old console and lugged them up to Dublin, does anyone know if there are any good second hand shops or anything similar which sell old games or even the odd console? I know it's a long shot but I have beautiful memories of a place in Leeds that had thousands of old snes games and it'd be great to find somewhere that had some old games hiding.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,448 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

There's one shop in town after opening recently. But to be honest you won't find too much in there. Nothing like what you're describing anyway :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭JenniFurr

o1s1n wrote: »
    There's one shop in town after opening recently. But to be honest you won't find too much in there. Nothing like what you're describing anyway :(

I know, I wasn't expecting anything as spectacular as that..... I'm just sick of trawling through ebay to find games I'm missing and I was hoping there would be somewhere in town that might have one or two. Where is this place anyway?

Master of the Universe

It's across the road from Guineys on Talbot street (There are a few Guineys on this street, I'm talking about the furthest one away from O Connell Street)

They have a few games from every major console, most of the stock seems to be ps1 stuff. All a tenner each.

Good way of getting stuff is on this forum. If you have anything to trade throw it up in the trading thread at the top. Might get some offers.

But yeah, sad to say that ebay is the main source for everyone still. Although you'll hear of the odd charity shop haul turning up some good stuff too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

Is this Games exchange we're talking about?

Master of the Universe

Nope, this is a new shop after opening a few weeks ago.

Supposedly it's full of clothes now too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Dark Savior

Yeah,I was in there about 10 days ago.He had loads of Ps1 & ps2 games along with some xbox,megadrive,saturn games.Nothing rare or of any interest to me though.He also had Ps1, 4 xbox's, a Saturn ,a nes and a couple of 360's in the window.I asked about a Xbox 1 (to get XBMC installed) and yer man told me he'd be looking for €80,at which point I just laughed out loud and left.

Master of the Universe

I always find it funny how shops like this totally over value consoles and under value their games. They haven't a clue.

As a comparison Gamestop were selling off their old xboxes a while ago for 20euro each...a bit closer to their real value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Yeah,I was in there about 10 days ago.He had loads of Ps1 & ps2 games along with some xbox,megadrive,saturn games.Nothing rare or of any interest to me though.He also had Ps1, 4 xbox's, a Saturn ,a nes and a couple of 360's in the window.I asked about a Xbox 1 (to get XBMC installed) and yer man told me he'd be looking for €80,at which point I just laughed out loud and left.

How much was he selling the Saturns for?

Master of the Universe

Wicknight wrote: »

Whatever he was asking, they were black PAL Saturns. (Yuck) You really don't want one of those.

Import a Japanese one instead. Not only will you be able to play all the Japanese games (Which most of the best Saturn games are) you'll also get it running in 60hz full screen.

I bought one straight from Japan on ebay a month or so ago for about 30 euro including postage.

It's across the road from Guineys on Talbot street (There are a few Guineys on this street, I'm talking about the furthest one away from O Connell Street)

They have a few games from every major console, most of the stock seems to be ps1 stuff. All a tenner each.

Good way of getting stuff is on this forum. If you have anything to trade throw it up in the trading thread at the top. Might get some offers.

But yeah, sad to say that ebay is the main source for everyone still. Although you'll hear of the odd charity shop haul turning up some good stuff too.

Thanks, I'll at least have a look in there. Sadly can't find some of my old games, nothing rare but I want them back for sentimental reasons like mario kart n64. Ebay still seems to be the best, recently picked up a magnavox odyssey 100 dirt cheap.... it's the postage that gets me down though. I've been stung before with people saying they insist that they insure the package and just pocket the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Dark Savior

Wicknight wrote: »
    Never asked him,sorry.But if he's charging €80 for an xbox,then the saturn was probably €100(I'm guessing).O1s1n right,stick with ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

This place on Talbot street sounds interesting, would not mind going in and seeing what kind of megadrive games are floating about in there.. Whats the name of this place if anyone knows so I don't go wondering up and down like a headless chicken?

Master of the Universe

It doesn't have a name. Just look Guineys and go across the road from it. If you're coming from O Connell street it's just after Tesco.

The Megadrive games I remember them having were - Aladdin, Ecco 2: The Tides of time, The Immortal, Toy Story and a few more. I was going to buy the Immortal but the box was a bit too knackared. Especially for a tenner.

It doesn't have a name. Just look Guineys and go across the road from it. If you're coming from O Connell street it's just after Tesco.

The Megadrive games I remember them having were - Aladdin, Ecco 2: The Tides of time, The Immortal, Toy Story and a few more. I was going to buy the Immortal but the box was a bit too knackared. Especially for a tenner.

Thanks I will ponder in and have a poke about in the morning and see what they have. I want at least 1 game as I just bought a working megadrive with no games...

10 quid for a megadrive game is a joke to be honest, it would have to be mint!

I was just in there. Took the trip into town just have a look and there's no point in even going to that shop. He's now brought it down to €70..... what a bargain :confused:.... He saw the look on my face and said I wasn't the first person to have that reaction. I thought he might be up for a haggle but no dice. At that point I told him I could get one from ebay for less with games, leads, controllers including postage and left.

JenniFurr wrote: »
    I was just in there. Took the trip into town just have a look and there's no point in even going to that shop. He's now brought it down to €70..... what a bargain :confused:.... He saw the look on my face and said I wasn't the first person to have that reaction. I thought he might be up for a haggle but no dice. At that point I told him I could get one from ebay for less with games, leads, controllers including postage and left.

You would imagine that people selling retro stuff like that would be up for haggling. You would get it on ebay for less as you stated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

Very angry guy in the shop today,I asked how much for the Sega Master System 2 in the Window,after stating it is just the machine,he grumbled €59.99,I asked are there any wires he said no.

Very angry guy in the shop today,I asked how much for the Sega Master System 2 in the Window,after stating it is just the machine,he grumbled €59.99,I asked are there any wires he said no.

Yup he was a bit of a bint to me too. I asked him the price of everything in there though... down to the controllers for the 2 broken dreamcasts so that could have caused it. I just bought a master system from ebay for €30 ish with all leads, 2 controllers and a couple of games so it's just not worth it. I wouldn't go back there again. The only thing that held my interest was the nes someone said was in there but that was already gone.
    mondeo wrote: »
    You would imagine that people selling retro stuff like that would be up for haggling. You would get it on ebay for less as you stated.

Yeah I thought so myself, my impression was he'd marked them up anticipating haggling but sadly no :(

JenniFurr wrote: »
    Yup he was a bit of a bint to me too. I asked him the price of everything in there though... down to the controllers for the 2 broken dreamcasts so that could have caused it. I just bought a master system from ebay for €30 ish with all leads, 2 controllers and a couple of games so it's just not worth it. I wouldn't go back there again. The only thing that held my interest was the nes someone said was in there but that was already gone.

Yeah I thought so myself, my impression was he'd marked them up anticipating haggling but sadly no :(

At least ya got a master system with all the leads on ebay for half what he was asking for, the old grump...:)

Advertisement