Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows XP Toolbar problem

Options
  • 21-02-2010 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

I have a weird problem with my xp taskbar, when I right click the taskbar and go to the toolbars section where you normally have Quick Launch, WMP, etc, there are 6 entries for links and 2 for windows media player, also when you click on one of them it may or may not work, i.e. you click the needed toolbar item and it either activates the toolbar or else does nothing. :confused:

any ideas on getting rid of the extraneous entries?

Tried searching google but could only find articles relating to custom office toolbars and editing quick launch.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Maybe what you're trying to activate is something that isn't on your machine anymore? If the entry for it is still in the registry, however, then it might still appear in that 'Toolbar' menu.

Kevin

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭daywalker

Kevster wrote: »
    Maybe what you're trying to activate is something that isn't on your machine anymore? If the entry for it is still in the registry, however, then it might still appear in that 'Toolbar' menu.

Kevin

I am not trying to activate anything, I know that they are dead links/buttons but I am wondering how to get rid of the extra entries. Do you know where in the registry/settings that I can do this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

I dont think there's a dedicated area in the registry for the items listed there. I just had a good luck and couldn't see anything. In the case of the duplicated media-player toolbar item, it sounds as if Windows failed to remove an older version of Media Player properly and it still thinks it's on the machine.

Regarding the links, search for their names (or the URL that each points to) in the registry, and then take it from there.

Advertisement