Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Converting AVI to DVD format

Options
  • 21-02-2010 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭

Hi all - I have no problem capturing vhs (PAL and NTSC) to avi and watching on PC. I use a cheap and cheerful gizmo acquired via eBay called "Easycap" for this (by the way, to capture colour from NTSC tapes, you must play tape using an American (NTSC) vhs player and not a European vhs player (PAL) that interprets NTSC tapes for TV output viewing - otherwise the capture will be black and white only - it took me three months to work that out!!!). But as of yet, I cannot successfully convert any capture (NTSC or PAL) to DVD format. All the DVD converter software programmes I have used so far give very poor results - blank screens with audio or still shots or very poor synchronisation between video and audio. Any one know of a reliable AVI to DVD conversion software, either free or commercial, that is known to give good results??? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭TommyGun

The files are AVI, but what codec are you using to get the files from the video? Also advise of the settings.

What editing program are you using?

You should be import the files in to the editing software and then convert to MPEG-2 format. (Once the software supports the codec).

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭deaglan1

TommyGun wrote: »
    The files are AVI, but what codec are you using to get the files from the video? Also advise of the settings.

What editing program are you using?

You should be import the files in to the editing software and then convert to MPEG-2 format. (Once the software supports the codec).

Tommy - Many thanks for that reply. Apologies but (1) can you please explain what a codec is - it always seems so abstract a concept to me and I have not found a satisfactory lucid explanation of it; (2) where can I find out what the specific codec is?; (3) import video from vhs to PC via Easycap using Ulead VideoStudio SE DVD Version 10 with settings adjusted accordingly to cater for PAL or NTSC input; (4) if I convert to MPEG-2, do I just then download/burn to DVD disc to play on DVD player or do I have to undertake a further conversion; (5) what is the difference between MPEG-2 and MPEG-4?;(6) I also have DVD shrink - I have used this to shrink "small"!! avi files to fit on a DVD, but these new files are far too large to fit on a disc by this means.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Avi to dvd! convertx to dvd
    codec, download k-lite codec pack for your os this will cover most codec`s in use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

http://www.dvdvideosoft.com/

great tool :D trust me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 extremechef

Total Video Converter ...this is what i'm usualy using.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 alexjems41

Yes i can help you. I was just like you trying to burn all my avi's. And i finally found the answer. The program you use is called winavi. First you can convert all the avi to dvd format(VOB). And then you click burn my converted avi to DVD. You will need nero beacuse it uses that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭blinkey 101

i went and dowloaded that winavi but when i try to convert avi to dvd it tells me there will be a water mark on the movie ?:confused:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

i went and dowloaded that winavi but when i try to convert avi to dvd it tells me there will be a water mark on the movie ?:confused:
    you have the free version

Advertisement