Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rafter loc

Options
  • 21-02-2010 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi. I'm thinking of putting rafter loc in my new build. Does any one ohave any hints or tips on installing the sheets? They say there's 20 - 30mm play in the sheets but they're pretty tough to squeeze into position!!! Anyone!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭Casati

I considered them until I saw the price- the extra cost is simply not worth it for the sake of cutting up standard panels. Depending on how tight the space between your rafters are, it might be v difficult to fit them without cutting anyway so I dont really see the point

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭clogher71

Lets just say the Rafter loc will tell how accurate you roofer is, it does not go up as easy as the company claims. I used it, and cut up boards also. If you roof is straight forward it will work well, if not..... I did not have the time or help for cutting up boards, so its basically getting the boards pre-cut for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭country home

id be interested to know whats the other options, ,
    im sick at seeing this done and just falling out. ..

• Subscribers Posts: 41,286 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

100mm rafterloc = 16.90 / sq m
    100 mm say thermafloor = 12.60 / sq m
    150mm rockwool = 6.25 / sq m

say you have a 2000 sq ft 2 storey house. basic rectangular shape

roof area approx = 120 sq m

therefore rafterloc on slope would cost approx = €2020
    cutting thermafloor approx = €1500

using 150mm rockwool (which will approx give the same u value) = €750

so say you use some of the €750 savings to upgrade to 225 rafters instead of 150's (generally). it wont cost you that much to upgrade from 150 to 225 rafters.

just to be sure, you will need to use some kind of insulated plasterboard to reach min u values so all construction are assumed equal.

therefore the best bang for buck roof insulation is 175mm rockwool in 225 rafters with 37.5 eps backed plasterboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

I used them in a vaulted ceiling on my build , 175mm boards underlaid with 50mm thermal slabs.There is a tight side and loose side ie. the slits are shorter in one direction front to back. On most spans ,loose in first and if your carpenter was really careless you may need to slice a filler piece. It's a dusty enough job hat and mask essential.They tap up easy enough and on tighter fits use a flat timber across the panel and bang with your hand .Cuts easy with a had saw ,fine tooth best.You can fill gaps with a fire rated expanding foam and tape all joints before fixing final celing slab (insulated) or not.
    carpentry ; plan your rafter thickness to allow noggins/wiring/vetilation gap if to roof.
    Get electrician to keep any wiring above the insulation so to avoid having to cut around said wiring MAKE SURE OF THIS
    If doing vaulted make sure to locate purloins correctly to take slabs width

• Advertisement
Advertisement