Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying from DigitalRev.com

Options
  • 21-02-2010 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi there,

I just want to ask if anyone has tried buying camera gear from this crowd.
    I see their prices are quite low, I was just wondering if I'd be due VAT once I get my items.

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

I have bought from this company.
    You are liable for VAT and IMPORT duty when buying from outside the EU. But it does happen that you receive items without being charged by the Irish authorities on occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 supermangyan

Thanks..
    is DigitalRev based outside the EU? if not, I should find one that's from the EU & has lower prices than camera shops here in Ireland. can you suggest someone else?

He is based in Hong Kong.
    Try Calumet in Belfast
    www.calumetphoto.com

oh yeah, I have made a short list of the gear I want from Calumet.. they're ok.. but won't I be losing money when I change my Euros-£'s? would using a credit card be better than cash?

oh yeah, I have made a short list of the gear I want from Calumet.. they're ok.. but won't I be losing money when I change my Euros-£'s? would using a credit card be better than cash?

Cash or CC doesn't really matter except you will be covered by your credit card insurance for your purchases. Calumet will deal with you over the phone and courier your purchases to your door at a very reasonable rate.
    But DO shop around in Dublin before finally making a decision

Gunns
    Berminghams
    Conns ETC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Contrary to the above posts, you will not have to pay VAT and Import duty when buying from digitalrev.com .

Most people come across DigitalRev on eBay, they're a big seller there... their eBay listing do not include VAT and Import Duty and you will have to pay that if you buy via eBay. I've bought from them a couple of time through eBay and always got stung with it.

If you buy direct from them at digitalrev.com (as you asked), the vat and import taxes are included in the cost. As you can see when you change the country on the top right of their website, the prices change according to the country's VAT, they also show the ex-VAT rate.

All this is spelled out here: http://www.digitalrev.com/en/import-handling-for-non-hong-kong-customers-141-article.html

"The final total is all you have to pay to have the order delivered to your door without delay, as it includes shipping, insurance, any import tax, duty, clearance fees and carriers handling charges (i.e. Free Domicile)."

The prices on their website (incl VAT) are generally just as good as the eBay prices which don't incl VAT... I suppose they're saving on eBay and Paypal fees.

I'd highly recommend them! Extremely fast delivery too!

Foto Joe,
    As you said yourself you do have to pay the taxes and import duties. Re read your own post again.

Re-read my post and it still seems clear to me! :P Or are we getting technical, in that you are actually paying import taxes because they're included in the cost?! My point is that the prices on digitalrev.com are what you pay, you'll not have the courier arriving with a parcel in one hang and a customs invoice in the other!

I said you have to pay the taxes and import charges (extra) if you buy from the eBay seller DigitalRev... but the OP asked about digitalrev.com, which is that sellers own website.

If you buy from digitalrev.com you do not have to pay extra import charges, they're included in the price shown on the website.

;)

"Contrary to the above posts, you will not have to pay VAT and Import duty when buying from digitalrev.com ."

From your earlier post.
    Nuff said

thanks lads. I'm gonna have to try & buy something from digitalrev.com & see what happens. another good website that I hear most of my friends recommend is keaphoto.com.. some stuff from these websites are still cheaper even with VAT on top of it so it's worth giving a try.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

thanks lads. I'm gonna have to try & buy something from digitalrev.com & see what happens. another good website that I hear most of my friends recommend is keaphoto.com.. some stuff from these websites are still cheaper even with VAT on top of it so it's worth giving a try.

I bought a camera from them in 2004 (Fuji s5000) and it was around 50% cheaper than here. Arrived in five days and had to pay (I think) around
    IR£50 in duty.

Freddie59 wrote: »
    I bought a camera from them in 2004 (Fuji s5000) and it was around 50% cheaper than here. Arrived in five days and had to pay (I think) around
    IR£50 in duty.

who are you referring to when you said "them" ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

who are you referring to when you said "them" ?

Digital Rev.

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    "Contrary to the above posts, you will not have to pay VAT and Import duty when buying from digitalrev.com ."

From your earlier post.
    Nuff said

I don't get the point here at all... but meh!

Advertisement