Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Observation

Options
  • 21-02-2010 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hi guys,

So I failed a few weeks ago in Wicklow and was really upset by it.(the usual, everyone telling me I was a good driver and would prob pass) Applied again and have picked myself up again but really want to pass the next one. Looking at the report, my major problem is observation.

In my test, I got a grade 3 on observation turning right, 2 grade 2's for the same thing, one grade 2 for observation changing lanes, one for observation turning left and one grade 2 for observation on the reverse (though I think this one was entirely unfair as I did all my mirror, blind spot etc checks at each stage of the turn and not a single car or person passed the entire time).

As you can see, my major issue is observation. What reasons do the testers give you grade 2's for observation? I do check my mirrors in good time but I'm obviously missing out on something if he came down so heavily on me in that area.

Any help would be appreciated because, test aside, I don't want to be driving around thinking I'm doing the observation side of things properly if I'm not because that will only lead to accidents

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Specifically for the test my teacher told me to almost over exaggerate your head movements to indicate clearly to the tester that you are checking everything and looking around regularly. He can't see your eyes dart left to right but can see your neck and head rotate. I know it sounds silly but it helped for me.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

The observation faults for turning right probably arised from not looking into the road you are about to turn into to.

Changing lanes. You need to check your rear view mirror, then the mirror to the side that you are turning, then indicate, then check your blindspot, and then change lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Specifically for the test my teacher told me to almost over exaggerate your head movements to indicate clearly to the tester that you are checking everything and looking around regularly. He can't see your eyes dart left to right but can see your neck and head rotate. I know it sounds silly but it helped for me.
    dangly earrings also help to highlight subtle head movements ;)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 1,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭MascotDec85

Observation is on the left hand side of the test sheet - this is where the tester looks to see if things are being carried out SAFELY.

The right hand side of the sheet is where the tester looks to see if things are being done competently.

This is how it works:

Grade 1 fault: Minor fault.

These do not count toward the result. Your examiner will most likely advise you to watch out for the particular fault is you are marked for these

Grade 2 fault: More serious fault.

You will fail if you get:
    4 of the same grade 2 faults for a single aspect.
    6 or more grade 2 faults under the same heading.
    9 or more grade 2 faults overall.

Grade 3 fault: Dangerous or potentially dangerous fault

You will fail if you get:
    1 or more grade 3 faults.

The Grade 3 mark you got meant you had failed instantly. A grade 3 is a dangerous error. Yours was for turning right so I'd presume you didn't see another road user before you committed to your turn eg. a car coming your direction and you caused them to brake. You also got two Grade 2's for the same thing.

Remember, observation isn't just about using mirrors.
    Take turning right. You are on a straight road and wish to turn right into a side street. On your approach you are looking ahead and in your rear view mirror. Then you use the following:

Right mirror
    Right Signal
    Centre Mirror
    Break gently
    Position the car correctly

Now as you are breaking you should be looking towards where you want to turn. Are there pedestrians on the pavements, vehicles reversing out of driveways etc etc. You should be looking up the new road but don't forget that you should always be looking forward also.

One of the most important observations you can make BEFORE turning your wheel to turn right is one final look in your RIGHT HAND MIRROR to make sure someone has not decided to overtake you. It could be a car, motorbike, bike etc.

Hope that helps

Advertisement