Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for god?

Options
  • 21-02-2010 7:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭

Does anyone know where i can get a copy of the original bible for a look? i want to see if i can find god.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Does anyone know where i can get a copy of the original bible for a look? i want to see if i can find god.

How's your Greek and Hebrew?

If English is your first language then, if you're really seeking for God, you can find Him by reading a good translation and praying to Him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Any major bookshop will stock bibles. Christian bookshops (such as Scripture Union) will be chock full of 'em. The NIV is an accessible translation. I'd start with the Gospels and work your way through the New Testament to see if it makes any sense to you.

You might be interested in these video video and audio talks.

Video
    N.T. Wright - Why Christianity makes sense (Part 1)
    N.T. Wright - Why Christianity makes sense (part 2)

(N.T. Wright has written study guides to a number of books of the bible that are part of the "For Everyone" series. For example, Mark For Everyone.)

Audio
    Don Carson -
    Rumours of Resurrection: Is the Jesus of the Bible the Jesus of History?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

Doauy Rheims is the first english one ever given us by the Catholic Church, and is the closest to the latin vulgata, which I have also.

its the simplest version there is in the english.

Here is a link to the full one, although you'd probably be better off nipping in to your local veritas and grabbing a copy. Nothing better than holding the Word of the Lord in your hands and feeling that presence of his within. <3

Pax Christi
    Stephen<3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

whoopsy daisy, in the rush I was I forgot to give the link :o lol

here you are, http://www.drbo.org/

God bless
    Stephen

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭chozometroid

I would recommend the Interlinear Hebrew-Greek-English Bible which has the Old and New Testaments and their respective original Hebrew/Greek texts with literal word for word translation (with numbers keyed to Strong's Concordance) along with the 1611/1769 KJV text for comparison.

Here is a single volume, which does not have the King James included:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bible-Interlinear-v-1/dp/1565639774/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1266788595&sr=1-1

639804_6_exc.jpg

I have a 4 volume set, which does have the KJV. You can find it under the same title. Similar to this:
    http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Interlinear-Hebrew-Greek-English-Bible-With-Strongs-Numbers-Volume-1-Of-3-Volumes/Sr-Jay-Patrick-Green/e/9781589606036
    This new edition has been much improved by a new typesetting of the New Testament (Volume IV), with larger print, the left marginal column containing a newly revised Literal Translation of the Bible (2000), and a right marginal column containing the Authorized/King James Version (1769). The three volume Old Testament is an exact reprint of the 1985 Hendrickson Publishers Edition. The Old Testament does not yet have the 1769 King James Version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

Check here for a really good online resource. It has Lexicons, cross refs, Strong's, Parallels, Commentaries, different languages and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭santing

4You.ie offers you a free Bible - if you cannot affort one!

Advertisement