Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping Chickens in Residential Area

Options
  • 21-02-2010 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi,

I am thinking of keeping a few chickens in the back garden for eggs. I live in a semi-detached house in Laois and was wondering if it would be a problem legally speaking. I will just be keeping a few hens, no cock. Are there any by laws or does any one know of any problems that might arise. My immediate neighbours are sound and wont be a problem but other people might object, (on what grounds I don't know). Any useful info would be appreciated.

Thanks

AJ

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

Forgive me if I'm wrong but I think there's a good few people doing this. As long as the chickens are well cared for and no other animals can attack them I think it will be fine.

The only problem I can see is if the smell/sound of them drives a neighbours dog mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

The best thing to do is probably ring your local council and ask them. (It might be on their website, if they have one). Chickens are good, but they will make a mess of your garden if they're allowed to free range (they love to pull up seedlings, they'll scratch in your flower beds and they generally muck things up, but it's all good for the garden and they're really very sweet :) ) and the hens make quite a bit of noise while laying or if disturbed (lots of clucking).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I think it should be fine, I've heard of people doing this, for eggs and for the chickens to eat the slugs, etc. Is your garden safe from dogs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭.SONIC.

well as long as you dont have your cock out in your back garden!!:P

as far as i know you should be fine as i know many people who are doing this!!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

As The Sweeper said, hens sometimes make a bit of noise when they are laying or if startled but generally are fairly quiet & any noise they do make is during the daytime, as they will be in their coop from dusk to dawn. You will probably find your neighbours won't even realise you have them!

Just be careful with food, as you won't want to encourage vermin - store feed in sealed containers & only put out as much as the hens will eat.

Keep the coop clean & there won't be any nasty odours to upset anyone - wood shavings/chippings are economical & clean but ensure you have somewhere to dispose of soiled bedding - makes wonderful compost!

Good luck with your hens - you will love them :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 LukerC

Sorry for jumping in on this thread, but i was also wondering about gettin a few for my garden, but was worried about cats getting them if they out scratching in the garden. There are a lot of cats in and out of garden and was wondering if this would be an issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

I used to keep chickens, they're great. Ours didn't have the run of the whole garden because of the risk of stray cats, foxes etc. We kept them in a pen.
    You could get them something like one of these

http://www.omlet.co.uk/products_services/products_services.php?view=Classic

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

I'm not sure if cats are as much of a problem with chickens as you would think. We have 7 cats of our own, plus a large number of ferals hanging around, yet all the cats are very wary of the chickens & usually give them a very wide berth - apart from one cat who joins the chickens at feeding time! I wouldn't trust any cats with chicks but the cats don't appear to view the fully grown hens as "birds", even the bantams, which are smaller than some of the wild birds our cats have killed :confused:

Advertisement