Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

A3 questions

Options
  • 21-02-2010 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Hi All,

I bought an Audi A3 (2007, 2008 model year, 1.6 Petrol) last June with 39,500KM on it. Have been doing about 500km a week since gettng the car. Last week a service/warning light came on on the dash - its a spanner/clock saying 2000 for the spanner and 210 for the clock. When I pull out the needle its says "OIL" 2000km.

I got the car serviced a week before Christmas, full oil check/change (drained and replanished) was done (supposedly). This was roughly 6000KM ago. I bought oil today - it took 2 litres I stopped then (may have taken more) although appears to be full now. The oil was of concern obviously but what was of even more concern was there was alot of yellow/cream "gunk" on the oil cap when lifted. Any ideas of what this might be??? Any help/advice appreciated. I will be ringing the garage tomorrow anyway but just wondering if I can get some independent opinions first....??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

I know the 1.8t can have problems with an oil cooler, it gives the creamy goodness in the oil like what you have.
    The other possibility is a headgasket. You didn't drive through floods or anything?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

Headgasket probably gone!!!Think thats what the white crap is!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

xeroshero wrote: »
    Hi All,

I bought an Audi A3 (2007, 2008 model year, 1.6 Petrol) last June with 39,500KM on it. Have been doing about 500km a week since gettng the car. Last week a service/warning light came on on the dash - its a spanner/clock saying 2000 for the spanner and 210 for the clock. When I pull out the needle its says "OIL" 2000km.

I got the car serviced a week before Christmas, full oil check/change (drained and replanished) was done (supposedly). This was roughly 6000KM ago. I bought oil today - it took 2 litres I stopped then (may have taken more) although appears to be full now. The oil was of concern obviously but what was of even more concern was there was alot of yellow/cream "gunk" on the petrol cap when lifted. Any ideas of what this might be??? Any help/advice appreciated. I will be ringing the garage tomorrow anyway but just wondering if I can get some independent opinions first....??

where did you get it serviced? Sounds like they didn't reset the service indicators (if on fixed interval) and/or didn't actually do a service.

Was the gunk on the petrol cap, or the oil res?

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭xeroshero

Sorry, on oil cap.

Got it services where I bought it - AUDI dealership. It possible that the lights weren't reset - I had thought of this but when I checked the oil level this morning - it was low and then it did take 2 litres of oil.... As you can see - I do high weekly mileage - I know if you only do short runs ya can have problems with the temps not getting high enough - I really don't think thats my problem though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

When you put the 2 litres of oil in I assume that took it too the full mark on the dipstick and by "full" you dont mean you poured it in till it filled up to the top of where you pour it in, like petrol?

Unless the A3 takes a lot of oil for it to take 2 litres i would have thought it wasnt even registering on the dipstick and was dangerously low.

The oil capacity is 4.6 litres (from manual) - the dip stick read max after the addition of the 2 litres. I added a litre, checked, then added some checked, more checked.... No - I did not just fill the tank like I would petrol.

Advertisement