Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

forests open to the public?

Options
  • 21-02-2010 12:56pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭

does anyone know if there's a map anywhere online which would show all forests/forested areas/parks open to the public?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

It probably does not exist, but as most public forests are owned by coillte, try this;
    http://www.coillteoutdoors.ie/index.php?id=25&no_cache=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Most are managed or leased by Coillte rather than owned. They are a semi state body, does the FOI act apply to them?

I think you'll find that Coillte own most of them, I heard they were the biggest landowner in the country.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

It would be really good to know a list of parks and woodlands open to the public around the country.

I love forest park in Boyle, Co Roscommon. its a credit to the people who mantain it. The trees and paths are really accessible and beautiful.

Maybe posters here could name some woodland parks that they know to be open to the public.

Well, for anyone in the Dublin/Wicklow area, I bought a detailed map from eastwest mapping (on the internet) in which all the forests are coloured green. Public access forests are shown as a darker green. Makes it easy to plan a walk.

• Advertisement
Advertisement