Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Thinking of changing

Options
  • 21-02-2010 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,516 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've had a 2001 audi a3 1.6 since june. Have done nearly 10k miles already. Car is going well and really like it.

I was thinking maybe i needed something different so was looking at the A4 but don't really like the older models so much. My budget would not be much as i'm thinking of selling mine privately and picking up another car for about 1k more or around the same price.

At the moment i'm only window shopping so just looking for suggestions. I have to keep insurance costs down so it would have to be between 1.6-1.8 which doesn't give a lot of choice :(

I was looking at the following cars and was wondering what your thoughts would be:

BMW 3 Series
    C Class Coupe 1.8

As you can see, i like german cars. I wouldn't want a car to be any older than 2001. Wouldn't mind going abroad or up north to get a good price if vrt isn't bad on these cars.

Any of you guys have any other suggestions?

Edit 2000th post :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Chrssymc1

Would you consider a VW Passat (probably not). I have an 06 1.6 FSI that I am looking to sell?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

OP if you like the A3, why not get a Diesel in it? That'll take big milage far better anyway and you know what you're going to get.

Paul

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

If it aint broken........

€1000 isn't going to get you a much better car btw. To sell your own privately will mean taking a price hit, & hastle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,516 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Chrssymc1 wrote: »
    Would you consider a VW Passat (probably not). I have an 06 1.6 FSI that I am looking to sell?

I would. I like the newer version but they are a bit pricy. Looking for a swap? :D
    flamegrill wrote: »
    OP if you like the A3, why not get a Diesel in it? That'll take big milage far better anyway and you know what you're going to get.

Paul

Yeah, i've thought of a diesel but that will probably be a longterm option when my insurance goes down. My current petrol is fairly good on petrol. 40 mpg on average but i do drive a lot so a diesel would be sensible.
    If it aint broken........

€1000 isn't going to get you a much better car btw. To sell your own privately will mean taking a price hit, & hastle.

Yeah, i dunno how much i'll get for it privately but i'd be happy with anything realistic, unlike the prices onlne. They don't depreciate by much, fortunately.

I'm not thinking of buying a new car right away though. I'm just looking at other options. There isn't many out there from what i see that are similar to the A3.

The worst thing is this whole 1 year nct thing which is about to come in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Chrssymc1

I would. I like the newer version but they are a bit pricy. Looking for a swap? biggrin.gif

As much as I would love an A4 (hubby drives an estate version) have to sell my beloved Passat. Just got a new job with a company car. It's in great nick, just serviced at the start of the month, 3 brand new tyres, 62Kkm...................... I'm actually local enough to Greystones if you fancy a look!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement