Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB unpaid by tenant

Options
  • 21-02-2010 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭

Hope I'm in the right place with this. I had a tennant in my house who trashed the place and then left. He still owes money for the ESB. I've already transferred it back into my name. Does anyone know if I'm liable to pay for it if they can't find him? They wouldn't tell me over the phone how much it was for as it wasn't my bill so I can't see why they would then try and get me to pay it. Anyone else ever have to deal with this sort of a problem?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Effects wrote: »
    Hope I'm in the right place with this. I had a tennant in my house who trashed the place and then left. He still owes money for the ESB. I've already transferred it back into my name. Does anyone know if I'm liable to pay for it if they can't find him? They wouldn't tell me over the phone how much it was for as it wasn't my bill so I can't see why they would then try and get me to pay it. Anyone else ever have to deal with this sort of a problem?
    if its not in your name then its fine. They cant pursue you for the tenants liability.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Effects wrote: »
    I presume you are using your account for the ESB rather than actually tranferring the tenants account into your name. The ESB usually either demand a 300 euro deposit or use direct debit thus any problem with the ESB being unpaid is an issue for the ESB and not you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Did you not have a deposit from the tenant?

If you had the tenancy registered with the PRTB then they might be abe to find your tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Baralis1

The customer service people with the ESB aren't allowed give out the account balance if you are not the account holder. But you can get around this using the automatic phone answering service when you first ring and follow the options to balance queries and just enter the account number - thats if you have the account number.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

They sent a bill for the old tennant and details for me to open an account. He paid the €300 deposit but there was €456 outstanding so a balance of €156 remains. The name on the bill is Mic**** *****, but the same surname as he girlfriend. I do have the deposit cathooo but after I fix the damage he's done I probably won't have anything left from it. I have to replace a few doors, a window, replace carpets as well as repaint most of the place and get s skip to get rid of all of his stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

axer wrote: »
    I presume you are using your account for the ESB rather than actually tranferring the tenants account into your name. The ESB usually either demand a 300 euro deposit or use direct debit thus any problem with the ESB being unpaid is an issue for the ESB and not you.
    Well the tennant had his account so I'm not transferring it into my name but getting a new account with my name. It's the same MPRN and that's what I'm worried about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

You don't have to worry about paying this as it was the ESB's responsibility that they had enough deposit to cover this.

Advertisement