Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Damaged car... Claim on insurance or take the pain myself?

Options
  • 21-02-2010 1:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭

Ok, here's the story. I was driving around home this evening. Coming home (in the snow) I was travelling towards the house. Before my house there's a hill with a left turn at the top. Basically to get up the hill, I had to take it a bit of speed. However at the turn the car kept going straight on, I ditched the car (thankfully I managed to get the car slowed down) and damaged the side wing and front bumper. New wings (damaged the other a while back) and bumper will be needed. I don't think there's any other damage after inspection. Anyhow, there's the story. Now, I was told a while back (when I was getting quotes for the other wing) that I could claim for it on the insurance (can someone clarify that?). Kinda wondering as well how much it could cost to get all this work done? Car is a 04 VW Golf. I'm with Zurich and I'd rather not claim (thats if I can at all) as I'm only with them since Aug. I have 2.5 yrs no claim bonus in total. Comments would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

It would be treated as two separate claims for the wings so I'd imagine you'll get hit for an excess twice as well.

Would probably get two estimates myself and see what it cost.

stepbar wrote: »
    ..........Now, I was told a while back (when I was getting quotes for the other wing) that I could claim for it on the insurance (can someone clarify that?). Kinda wondering as well how much it could cost to get all this work done? Car is a 04 VW Golf. I'm with Zurich and I'd rather not claim (thats if I can at all) as I'm only with them since Aug. I have 2.5 yrs no claim bonus in total. Comments would be appreciated.

- Are you comp or 3rd party f&t, if you don't have comprehensive insurance you cannot claim for your own car's damage in this case (as it wasn't stolen or didn't go up in flames)
    - if comprehensive, what is the excess (amount you have to pay to the insurer when you claim)
    - is your 2 years no claims bonus protected

Regardless of the above questions, you have stated that you don't want to claim, so don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭gman127

If you have no claims bonus protection then its a no brainer, just claim.

If not your best off to get a quote from a garage or two and decide then if its worth it or not.

Try and get some parts from a dismantlers if possible I guess

gman127 wrote: »

Still may be an excess, also not many (if any) companies offer full protection on a 2 year no claims bonus. Not quite a no brainer when you think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Digitaljunkie

If not your best off to get a quote from a garage or two and decide then if its worth it or not.

Try and get some parts from a dismantlers if possible I guess

I would take the pain yourself if you can afford it. I made the mistake of claiming when my car was written off even with no claims protection if I try to move insurance companies I get nailed. I have to stay with the same company (Car) where the cost hasn't gone up but they could nail me at any time. I bought a small van during the summer where I normally payed €400 it cost €1000.

Read the small print the buggers will eventually nail you try to fix it yourself. Good luck with it.

Dj.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

I had been with an insurance company for 15 years never made a claim (not even for a cracked windscreen), and had my no claims discount insured.

I reversed into a wall I didnt see (I ignored the sensors, because I thought they were just picking up a false reading - stupid I know), anyway the repair was €2k. My excess was €95.

At renewal time, my premium went from €1100 to €1900. So when I asked if my NCD was insured they said it was, and that it was just normal inflation.

I got a quote from a different comapny for €600, and I went with them. I'm never paying to "insure" my NCD ever again... Total rip-off.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Digitaljunkie

Rulmeq wrote: »
    I had been with an insurance company for 15 years never made a claim (not even for a cracked windscreen), and had my no claims discount insured.

I reversed into a wall I didnt see (I ignored the sensors, because I thought they were just picking up a false reading - stupid I know), anyway the repair was €2k. My excess was €95.

At renewal time, my premium went from €1100 to €1900. So when I asked if my NCD was insured they said it was, and that it was just normal inflation.

I got a quote from a different comapny for €600, and I went with them. I'm never paying to "insure" my NCD ever again... Total rip-off.

Yea waste of money. Every case seems to be different as no other insurance company will touch me :mad:

Advertisement