Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonsillectomy

Options
  • 20-02-2010 9:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭

Evening,

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this but I have a question or two. I'm on my 3rd bout of tonsillitis in the space of 12 weeks. The doctor said I should get them out and quite frankly I want them ripped out asap as I'm fed up of it by now. I've only being inside a Hospital once and to the doctors twice in the past 14 years(26 now) was obv there as a baby so not sure how all this works.

Anyway what sort of waiting list is it for the public treatment and if I go private how much roughly would that cost me?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

As a public patient, the waiting list is what it is and I don't think there's too much you can do to change it. Difficult to know what it'll be till you're on it and you ask. (Am open to correction)

Private patient: do you have insurance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

As a public patient, the waiting list is what it is and I don't think there's too much you can do to change it. Difficult to know what it'll be till you're on it and you ask. (Am open to correction)

Private patient: do you have insurance?

No, I never got around to filling out the VHI forms in work. I could get it sorted this week but could they tell me to feck off if I join and then a month later apply for this type of treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

IIRC, when you join a health insurance scheme, you aren't covered for anything for the first 6 months, and for pre-existing conditions you're only covered after 5 years.
    Otherwise nobody'd have any insurance, and would only join up when something went wrong, and then let it lapse again after getting treatment.
    That would be the same as not bothering with car insurance and then ringing Allianz after you have an accident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I thought so, oh well public it is. I hope the waiting list isn't to long.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

RasTa wrote: »
    I thought so, oh well public it is. I hope the waiting list isn't to long.

Last time they published them for Beaumont it was 12-24 months wait for an OPD appointment and 6-12 months after that for a date for surgery (for non urgent problems).

They seemed to have stopped publishing this data since they updated their website though..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

RobFowl wrote: »
    Last time they published them for Beaumont it was 12-24 months wait for an OPD appointment and 6-12 months after that for a date for surgery (for non urgent problems).

They seemed to have stopped publishing this data since they updated their website though..

Does the NPTF still kick in after a year or whatever amount of time it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Dont expect ice cream, the morning after its toast!!!!! not as bad as it might seem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

Yeah, I'd look at the fine print very closely if I was getting health insurance. I'm not sure, but they could probably say that you need to get your tonsils out due to a pre-existing condition, which is pretty unfair IMO - one bout of tonsillitus puts you in that position. But, you can't win against the insurance crowd.
    Either way, get yourself on the waiting list for public as soon as you can. The sooner you're on, the sooner you can get seen.
    I don't know if it's the same now, but when I got mine out, I was getting throat infections at least ten times a year and I got seen faster because of it (it put me in the more urgent category).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Vorsprung wrote: »
    Does the NPTF still kick in after a year or whatever amount of time it is?

It kicks in when you've been on the waiting list for surgery for 3 months. It doesn't apply (in most cases) to the wait for an appointment.

Advertisement