Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

High Mileage on Passat or A4 Diesels (125K ish) - parts will be worn = bad idea?

Options
  • 20-02-2010 8:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭

My mate was saying he thinks its risky as buying a car with high mileage is
    risky as all parts will be worn.

We will both be buying from the UK.

Im thinking these cars are rock solid and they will do a million miles anyway.

What say you if they have FSH?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭Dartz

Depends on the sort of miles the car's done, tbh....

If it's 125k of long journeys, you can bet that the car will be in better condition than a 40k miler that's only even driven to the shops and back, and never gets properly warmed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,307 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Well at least in the uk, the price strongly reflects the mileage so they tend to be very well priced.
    You have to factor in though the fact that in a couple of years, with approaching 200,000 miles on the clock, the car will be pretty worthless so is it worth while? I dont think so as you are likely to have many more faults to put right also compared to lower mile car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Passat maybe a better bet than audi as the audi has some expensive suspension parts that wear. Most of them will have motorway mileage and not goin on cow tracks that we had here. I had the old model passat and kept it for 180k miles and spent very little on it. Honda accords are better value i think, only the tax is a killer if its under 08.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭mr_happy

I plan to keep the car for 4+ years but a car with 200+ miles agreed, will be worth very little.

Interesting comment about Audi spares costing a lot.

I will go for a Passat I think. I just love that boot.

I need an Automatic and really think a Diesel is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

Hate the burst your bubble....but the Passat also suffers from suspension issues like the audi.

Most common to go are the top wishbone arms. Ive inspected mine lately (passengers side) and they are on the way out. Have already purchased a Febi replacements for 130euro inc VAT from Otto in cork. Might write up another how to be a few weeks thou.

Other things to go are the C.V. joints usually due to the boot tearing and debris gettin in the joint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

You'll probably have to get a new clutch and DMF if it hasn't already been done. That's pretty expensive too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

You'll probably have to get a new clutch and DMF if it hasn't already been done. That's pretty expensive too.

OP wants an Auto though:)!

As someone once said to me "if only everything in life was as unreliable as a Volkswagen", modern VW's are not good at all. I can't see the point of the A4, much smaller than the Passat and even in this country it is not hard to find a decent spec Passat.

I would be looking at something like a Honda Accord although I don't think they got an Auto until quite recently so are probably not within the OP's budget. A 520d is a good option(a 525d or 530d is better though;)), they have been around since 06 and these are quite reliable machines(the problems that affected older BMW diesels i.e. swirl flaps and turbos don't seem to be affecting 520d's so far).

A Mondeo would be a great option, it will be much more reliable than a Passat or A4 you can be guaranteed that much and has the Automatic gearbox option as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

My 1.9 TDI skoda is on 204,000 km now and still on original clutch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

OP wants an Auto though:)!

As someone once said to me "if only everything in life was as unreliable as a Volkswagen", modern VW's are not good at all. I can't see the point of the A4, much smaller than the Passat and even in this country it is not hard to find a decent spec Passat.

I would be looking at something like a Honda Accord although I don't think they got an Auto until quite recently so are probably not within the OP's budget. A 520d is a good option(a 525d or 530d is better though;)), they have been around since 06 and these are quite reliable machines(the problems that affected older BMW diesels i.e. swirl flaps and turbos don't seem to be affecting 520d's so far).

A Mondeo would be a great option, it will be much more reliable than a Passat or A4 you can be guaranteed that much and has the Automatic gearbox option as well.

I have heard that the 520 d is giving trouble, but I have only heard of one car so far.
    I would agree about the mondeo, best by a long shot. They also give DMF issues on certain models. (2.0l diesels, not sure what years)
    As for the suspension, I have replaced rear shocks and front suspension in my 04 passat. CV joint is on the way out on the driver side, just after replacing the alternator and window regulator. The car has 94k miles. @ 64k I had to replace the 6 speed gearbox.
    Take it from me; don't be disillusioned by the VW badge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

My 1.9 TDI skoda is on 204,000 km now and still on original clutch.

Probably , but not definitely. Subtle difference.

Most people in the trade will probably agree that the TDi clutch and DMF do tend to wear at around 100k miles. In my case it was 120k miles (193,000km).

Window regulator, as cadaliac mentioned, on the Passat is very common too :D Doesn't get much mention either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

cadaliac wrote: »
    I have heard that the 520 d is giving trouble, but I have only heard of one car so far.
    I would agree about the mondeo, best by a long shot. They also give DMF issues on certain models. (2.0l diesels, not sure what years)
    As for the suspension, I have replaced rear shocks and front suspension in my 04 passat. CV joint is on the way out on the driver side, just after replacing the alternator and window regulator. The car has 94k miles. @ 64k I had to replace the 6 speed gearbox.
    Take it from me; don't be disillusioned by the VW badge.

Did you recondition the 6speed box or swop it out for a 5speed instead when you replaced it?

What was the transmission code of the gearbox out of curosity?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Probably , but not definitely. Subtle difference.

Most people in the trade will probably agree that the TDi clutch and DMF do tend to wear at around 100k miles. In my case it was 120k miles (193,000km).

Window regulator, as cadaliac mentioned, on the Passat is very common too :D Doesn't get much mention either.

Yup ... Rear right window is jammed closed ;)
    Actuator is knackered ... would have been a damn sight worst if it stuck open though !!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭hipster2009

195000 miles on my passat with original clutch. This has included a fair bit of car trailer pulling. Things like wishbone and CV joints do go but overall passat well worth getting. Just need regular servicing.:)

125000 is not high milage.
    I put 278000 miles on the golf I had before and it was still driving perfect when I sold it.

Advertisement