Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remote start for Diesel

Options
  • 20-02-2010 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭

Right, this cold snap has got the better of me, I'm sick of having to run out to the van & start it to defrost it every morning. Anyone got a remote start with timer for the Glow-Plugs?

If so, where'd you get it? Did you install it yourself? How much kicking & swaering did it take before it worked...

Thanks,
    Seán

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

did you try MDS in Palmerstown as suggested in your previous thread?

My old Clifford G5 one left the ignition on for about 3 seconds before it started so it'd probably be ok for a diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Seanieke

Aint given them the contract, with the recession I was going to try it myself!

Ah. I'd ring them anyway, get a quote and see which model they recommend ;)

Have you fitted an alarm before? I'm pretty good with electrics and reading diagrams etc. but I was stumped by an (intricate enough) immobiliser. I can only imagine how much fun a remote start alarm would be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Remote starts can be very finicky.

The only one I ever had dealings with had a complicated set up when you were leaving the car if you wanted to remote start it later.

This was to stop it from being in gear when you went to start it from the bar stool to impress the boys

I had it on an automatic, but it it's a manual you may well have to punch in a code when leaving the car to confirm that you have it in neutral.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

You had to press the brake, pull the handbrake and open the door with the engine running. The close and lock the car with the turbo timer on or something daft like that.

A neutral position switch would be a lot easier!

used to love switching it on from the bed on the cold mornings! the range on it was unbelievable too, could have it in the undergroud carpark in Dundrum and switch it on from inside the shops

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Kenlowe Hotstart or Eberspacher do similar things, far better for your engine than idling from freezing cold. Pricey though as said.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

I thought remote starting devices on manual cars was a big no no? On the chance that you did leave her in gear it would be pretty dangerous.

I remember looking into getting one for a subaru legacy a few years ago & the couple of places i enquired refused to install them in manually geared cars.

• Advertisement

read above posts about remote start in manual cars

Already have & didn't see any information that i would consider substantial or accurate.

the bits about having to input a code or go through a procedure before leaving the car should be both substantial and accurate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Iv got a Falcon Predator Evolution 4 remote start on my car. No probs, handy on the cold mornings before you head out to the car:D

Its very obvious & not particularly insightful that there would be some sort of procedure involved in setting the device before you get out of the car.
    All i'm saying is based on above posts i wouldn't run out to buy a remote start device unless i had more conclusive information.

Hey OP just google it!:D

I suppose the point is any decent alarm with remote start fitted to a manual car will require you to ensure the car is in neutral before leaving the car if you intend to use the remote start later. Not an issue in an automatic and no installer with any bit of sense would install one in a manual car unless it has this feature.
    I know if I were looking for a remote start for a manual, the car starting in gear and getting damage would be one of my concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Lots of the remote starts also have turbo timers, so the car will be left in neutral anyways when u leave the car so it aint really a safety issue.

Advertisement