Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

bmw and run flats

Options
  • 20-02-2010 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭

Hey all, my wife just bought a bmw 318 2006 from a dealer in dublin, part of the sale agreement was that the dealer would put 2 new tyres on the back, he did and we bought the car, today I have just noticed the new tyres are not run flats, and the 2 older tyres are, the car has no spare or inflation kit, is there anything I can do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,769 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Did you specify run flats in the Deal?

Also did you check to see if the spare was there?

You could call and ask, have you tried this yet? They may be able to help you straight away.....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,292 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The way I see it,you either insist on runflats or get them to provide full spare wheel kit including jack etc.
    The car is useless as is tbh. I wouldnt fancy the runflats on 2 wheels & normal tyres on others as they can be very hard & mixing them may create handling issues.
    I would look towards getting a spare & tools off them as you might nt be prepared to fork out for runflats longterm as they are a bit expensive. They are also very hard on the road and many cannot live with that

• Registered Users Posts: 73,401 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I don't think that's acceptable, they're part of the cars equipment and the garage is cutting corners. Stand your ground and insist on the correct tyres being fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭mcshape

We asked why there was no spare but the guy said they come like that and told me wife to get aa membership! I didn
    t think to ask for runflats as we didnt know the deal, it was the garage who said it needed the new tyres and put those on. We have the car two weeks now, what are our rights here now?

In my view it's the same as if they put wrongly sized tyres on your car. sure they're still new tyres, but they're not the right ones.

Go back and demand the right ones and see how you go. Tell them you shouldn't have to drive with 2 different types of tyres and that you don't want to have to rely on the AA if you get a puncture.

You shouldn't have had to ask for runflats if that's what came off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,769 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You should call the garage to discuss. There is not much that can be achieved here. Try talking to the guy and you may get sorted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Tell them you expect runflats as there was was runflats already on the car.
    It's like removing expensive tyres and then putting some cheap Chinese stuff on and saying "sure get a AA membership"...

Anyone got any idea how much a skinny spare and kit costs?

Actually, the e46 bmw we traded in had a full size spare and kit, might just go back to him and take that now! :)

mcshape wrote: »
    We asked why there was no spare but the guy said they come like that and told me wife to get aa membership!

That kind of crap annoys me. Totally taking the piss in my opinion.
    Decide whether you want the runflats or would prefer a spare then go back there & demand to get what you want. Best to be thick with those type of garages. I wouldnt go 5 miles without a means of getting going again if I happened to get a punchure.
    Did he offer to pay for the AA membership?

• Advertisement

No he didn't, and what would the aa do anyway? Tow ya home and u still have no facility to jack up the car, take the flat off and get it repaired!!!!!

I'd prefer the kit, run flat no use if your 100k from home at night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭DirtyOilBurner

There is no spare wheel, jack, wheel brace in the e90 3 series, not even space for them im afraid, so the dealer isnt wrong there but as for the run flats, he was just trying to save himself money, wont make any difference unless you have a puncture, probably be more comfortable to be honest, cant see him putting runflats on when you didnt specify....

I don't think the OP should have had to specify, a bit like getting a car serviced and they don't use the correct spec oil - it shouldn't even be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

They probably seen the price of run flats and decided to go down the cheaper route of standard tyres hoping the OP would not notice.

There is no spare wheel, jack, wheel brace in the e90 3 series, not even space for them im afraid, so the dealer isnt wrong there but as for the run flats, he was just trying to save himself money, wont make any difference unless you have a puncture, probably be more comfortable to be honest, cant see him putting runflats on when you didnt specify....

There is no space but its not a major issue to carry a space saver, jack & wrench in he boot. Ive seen a 3 series with a large plastic case (like those which electric drills come in except v large) holding spare & tools & it was perfectly fine & very neat.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Xpro

runflats are dear and complete rubish. they will get you from A-B due to a stiffer sidewalls, but afterwards the tyre is wrecked. Not worth it imo.
    get a spare tool kit from bmw 220 euros,All included, space saver, new linner to accept the wheel, jack, wheel brace.

Ok thanks everyone for the advise, I'm gonna call the garage on monday

Advertisement