Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doing LC Biology Outside School?

Options
  • 20-02-2010 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

hi!

i'm thinking of taking OL biology outside of school.
    i'm in 5th year at the moment. .
    i was just wondering does anybody know where i could do the experiments or would it be ok to just learn them and not do them. .
    also do you think its possible for me to do it and have you any advice!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Mayoegian

Hi Doyler!

You may find this a help:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055812655&highlight=biology

Biology is very do-able, and you have plenty of time. However, if you're not that into science, you might find it difficult! Do you like science subjects? The biology course includes info on the systems of the body e.g. Circulatory System etc., plants e.g. photosynthesis, Cells e.g. Cell division and alot of other topics are covered. Some people find it hard, and rightly so, it's not easy. However, I wouldn't classify it as extremely hard.

Good Luck!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 marooose

Hi there!
    Im in 6th year now and I'm in the same boat as yourself. Im doing HL Biology myself, and I just did the mock at home and it went fine. I havent actually done the experiments, I've just learnt them out of the book and it seems to be going ok for me so far! Its a very easy subject to do yourself, as there isnt much understanding involved, it is merely learning the information off by heart!
    Hopefully I'll do well in it in the Leaving Cert, and I hope it goes well for you too! x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Synods

I did the leaving cert last year and took up biology outside school as I needed the extra science subject. I took it up in november of 6th year and came out with and A2 HL. I adore science so i didnt feel it was a nuisance-i actually enjoyed the course, and being able to do it at my own pace was great. If you like science and grasp scientific concepts easily you should love it and it wont feel like work, likewise if you can learn by rote you should be sorted.
    As for the experiments, i just learned them from the book and got on fine. You're only in 5th year so you've got loads of time, so just take one per fortnight and go from there perhaps?
    As a tip from someone who has done it before, I can honestly say that using past papers AND the marking schemes together is by far the most effective way of learning and revising. You can download them from examinations.ie afaik...
    Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭doyler101

thanks everyone! you gave some really good advice and this really helped! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It may seem obvious to point out, but make sure you get your school's Examination Secretary to enter you for the exam.

• Advertisement
Advertisement