Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bad car drivers?

Options
  • 20-02-2010 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭

Could somebody please give me,as best they can,an insight into the mind of some car driver's decisions in a few situations.

I'm aproaching a junction to the left on a main road with no hard shoulder and am going straight on.A car approaches the main road from the left,they stop,look right,stare at you in the eyes coming with 40tonnes,then 20 yards before you reach the junction decide to pull out.Now I'm slightly generalising here but 9times out of 10 it's a fella.What is in the brain cells to tell them 1 It's safe 2 Worth the risk?

Why do car drivers think a truck is automatically pulling over for them and not a hazard on the road,ie a car turning right,an oncoming ambulance.Are they asleep all the time and not just 99% of the time.

And thirdly for now,why is a motorbike filtering through two lanes of stationary traffic such a threat to some car drivers that they go out of their way to impede as best they can the progress of the bike?I'm generalising again here but it's mainly men that do that.

Rant over :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Its the Irish mentality. Everybody is trying to screw him over and be damned if he's gonna screw him over.

Simple's really.

meercat.png

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I don't, nor ever have driven a bike. If I'm in traffic and there's a bike behind me, I make room for him/her to pass me. I think it's perfectly acceptable for bike drivers to filter and they shouldn't be block by assholes in their cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭mcshape

+1 I always shift over that little bit more for bikes

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

I don't, nor ever have driven a bike. If I'm in traffic and there's a bike behind me, I make room for him/her to pass me. I think it's perfectly acceptable for bike drivers to filter and they shouldn't be block by assholes in their cars.

Well done,you're one of the few.:).Most of the little boys will try and stare you out of it in their drivers mirror who have done their best to block you.The others look at the passenger seat when you stare in at them in their window. The mentalilty wasnt as bad west of the shannon until lately I've found anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I always keep over for bikers.Even on a main road i keep to the yellow line so they can pass. I see your point people move towards the white line to stop them overtaking.

I see other arseholes trying to play suicide with trucks as well. Some drivers have no regard for the heavy/larger vechile

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i go out of my way to let bikers know I know they are there by making room for them to pass me. I always get acknowledged for doing so. I also make room for trucks to swing in or out of a turn and always let buses out of stops etc. Again, I always get a "thx" wave.
    Its generally cars I have problems with...

One problem I have peculair perhaps to classic motors, is that drivers assume because you have an old car , you are going slowly and pull out in front of you...i am NEVER going slowly :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

No hard shoulder turning right across the path of a 40 tonner heading my way, last thing I want do is start playing chicken!!

corktina wrote: »
    i go out of my way to let bikers know I know they are there by making room for them to pass me. I always get acknowledged for doing so. I also make room for trucks to swing in or out of a turn and always let buses out of stops etc. Again, I always get a "thx" wave.
    Its generally cars I have problems with...

One problem I have peculair perhaps to classic motors, is that drivers assume because you have an old car , you are going slowly and pull out in front of you...i am NEVER going slowly :-)

Yes corktina you hit the nail on the head. I was in the car one day with my bro in law and he pulled out in front of a truck on the main road. He was of the opinion that trucks do drive very slow and would be holding him up. I was clinching in the seat waiting for a BANG.. People have same opinion about old cars also..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I always get acknowledged for doing so.

Ah the old wave with the leg.

I had the same problem with the older car thing too and if I don't have that problem with it some little boy racer sees the GTI badge and wants to race me

Onkle wrote: »

I had the same problem with the older car thing too and if I don't have that problem with it some little boy racer sees the GTI badge and wants to race me

Those fella's will try for a race with a motorbike at the traffic lights.But I will say one thing in their defense,they are observant in their mirrors and what is going on around them.

• Advertisement

Onkle wrote: »

:Dthey turn their noses up at an old cortina only to be spitting up my dust when the light goes green....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

:Dthey turn their noses up at an old cortina only to be spitting up my dust when the light goes green....:D

Wouldn't exactly call your Cortina a sleeper though, especially with those two fart cannons on the back :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

I completely agree with the OP. People don't respect larger vehicles on the road. I used to drive farm tractors for a contractor for a time and the amount of people who expected you to get out of their way on a narrow lane was ridiculous. I just ditched them. They didn't do it a second time.

I think the main problem with drivers in all countries is not seeing the bigger picture when driving. They can't see past their bonnet and don't even think that they'd need to.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

i go out of my way to let bikers know I know they are there by making room for them to pass me. I always get acknowledged for doing so.

Same with me. Bikers ALWAYS either give me a nod or a "leg salute" for letting them pass. It's different with car drivers, some will thank you, others won't :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

hoodie6029 wrote: »
    I completely agree with the OP. People don't respect larger vehicles on the road. I used to drive farm tractors for a contractor for a time and the amount of people who expected you to get out of their way on a narrow lane was ridiculous. I just ditched them. They didn't do it a second time.

I think the main problem with drivers in all countries is not seeing the bigger picture when driving. They can't see past their bonnet and don't even think that they'd need to.

Yikes.....:eek:...theres another can of worms being prised open...tractor drivers dragging half a field out onto the roads.....no fun when yer on yer bike...;)

Yikes.....:eek:...theres another can of worms being prised open...tractor drivers dragging half a field out onto the roads.....no fun when yer on yer bike...;)

It's my understanding that it's illegal for this to happen because of the safety concerns for bikers. It might aswell be oil as far as bikers are concerened, and rightly so.

That said, tractor drivers aren't going to clean their wheels before exiting a field are they??

It's my understanding that it's illegal for this to happen because of the safety concerns for bikers. It might aswell be oil as far as bikers are concerened, and rightly so.

That said, tractor drivers aren't going to clean their wheels before exiting a field are they??

Probably not...but they should have a regard for other road users ,particularly bikers..and especially coming into the good weather....i'm speaking from experience btw, not just havin a go at farmers..;)

Its not just tractors, Builders can abuse this to with muck coming out of sites etc. I think we are going of thread here btw

malcox wrote: »
    . I think we are going of thread here btw

Fair point...

So why is it that irish drivers (mostly women i've noticed) either accelerate to block you OR wont pull out into the overtaking lane when you're trying to join a motorway/carriageway..:mad:

MMMM i know but men do it too, let me just say im not a woman or a farmer or tractor driver btw. I meant to say that above. Theirs a pile of bad drivers on the road let them be male or female so called proffesional drivers. If we were to start a thread on bad driving i can envisige it would superceed any other thread in length. However i am wrong it would be closed fairly soon as everyone would be venting their road rage on the thread.;)

• Advertisement

MMMM i know but men do it too, let me just say im not a woman or a farmer or tractor driver btw. I meant to say that above. Theirs a pile of bad drivers on the road let them be male or female so called proffesional drivers. If we were to start a thread on bad driving i can envisige it would superceed any other thread in length. However i am wrong it would be closed fairly soon as everyone would be venting their road rage on the thread.;)

I think a venting thread for disgruntled drivers would be great.I nearly killed a woman 3 and a half weeks ago and am still having nightmares about it.

i got cut up last week by a female tractor driver on L plates with her fog lights on whilst doing her hair in the rear view mirror.....:D

i got cut up last week by a female tractor driver on L plates with her fog lights on whilst doing her hair in the rear view mirror.....:D

:);)

:confused:..isnt this it....?

:confused:..isnt this it....?
    IT IS NOW!!!

Advertisement