Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Decant or not to Decant?

Options
  • 20-02-2010 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭

I can decant, it's not that I can't decant, but just because I can doesn't mean I should decant.

Anyway, let's ignore that and move on. We have an empty decanter in the display cabinet, and don't tell anyone, but I occasionally drink whisky and whiskey. Although some whisk(e)y bottles are very pretty (Jura, Monkey Shoulder are 2 recent notables), the decanter is also quite attractive - it seems a shame not to use it. I don't at the moment.

What are the pros and the cons of decanting spirits? I would tend to concentrate on drinking one bottle at a time, but it could take a couple of months if not more to get through a bottle. Thoughts?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

I have read a few very interesting articles on this ...

Firstly Decanting Spirits has no benifit to the spirit and it may have an opposite effect.

First there is an issue of the size of the decanter and how good a fit your top is ... usually the bigger the area full of air the quicker the whisk(e)y would oxidise and if the top does not fit snugly you are basically leaving the whisk(e)y slightly open therefore direct contact with a constant flow of air. However this initially can improve a whisk(e)y by opening up the flavours but after long periods untouched with low fill levels it can mean that the flavour profile dulls. However this will happen in the bottle also and I think you are quite safe for at least a year on this one.

Next is it lead crystal or just glass? There has been studies that found that lead can leach into the contents which is not ideal especially if you have a 24% lead crystal decanter and the contents are high ABV like whisk(e)y. However I would not overly fret as this only happens if the contents are left in the decanter for long periods. Put your favourite "regular go to" whisk(e)y in a decanter and you'll be sure it won't last long ;-) The fact you say it would not last more than few months sounds reasonab;e to me.

My opinion on decanters is if you think it's a nice touch then go for it but don't use them for your best whisk(e)y or a whisk(e)y that will be in there for a long time. I don't bother myself as I have too many bottles open to figure out which will last the shortest :o

Sometimes the ritual of pouring your whisk(e)y is part of the whole experience, coming home from a hard days work, picking out the right whisk(e)y and glass for your mood and pouring out that well deserved drink. So if a decanter adds to that experience then why not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

I just put half a bottle of 18 year old Jameson into a decanter. I'll see how it tastes in August. Risky business.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Please don't bump old threads.
    It is nearly as bad a wasting good whiskey.

tHB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement