Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Stoves

Options
  • 20-02-2010 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Are electric stoves expensive to run, i am replacing my solid fuel stove as it gone past its date but i would like little maintenance.

I would use for a few hours each evening during the winter months. I want little maintenace.

What should i look out for, are any stoves less expensive to run than other.

Thanks for your help
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

No experience with them to be honest but something I do know, anytime electricity and heating water come together its expensive.

Where possible always avoid using electricity as a heat source. Electricity tends to be a last resort when either not practical to install heating system or no space to install. Electric showers come in handy for instant hot water but majority I people I know would prefer to have something different than an electric, even improve hot water storage with solar etc.

I don't know of anyone with an elec stove, closest thing I can think of is electric storage heaters, those are expensive to run and mostly work off night rate electricity @ half price. Not sure if its possible for you to fit a double meter day / night, having stove running off night rate is the only way to see costs come down but might not be practical as night rate starts at 2300 and ends 0800.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

Mixupat wrote: »
    Are electric stoves expensive to run, i am replacing my solid fuel stove as it gone past its date but i would like little maintenance.

I would use for a few hours each evening during the winter months. I want little maintenace.

What should i look out for, are any stoves less expensive to run than other.

Thanks for your help

There is a range of electric stoves by a well known maker on the market at the moment. They are based round a 1-2 KW fan heater. To briefly answer your question, assuming 6 hours continuous usage in the evening would give a maximum consumption of 12 kilowatt hours on the 2 KW setting and 6 KWH on the 1KW setting. Best to get one with thermostatic control which will hold the room at a constant temperature.

I would suggest that a normal size living room without draughts will require approximately the equivalent of a continuous 1 KW setting, which in turn will cost E1.20c for six hours.

If you can read your own meter and possess a fan heater - what you can do is run your fan heater for a set number of hours. Take a before and after meter reading and multiply the number of units by 20 cent.

IMO with smart usage these type of heaters are viable !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

i wired an electric aga there a while back.

works off the nightsaver with a boost if needed

they're a large unit like a range

it was up on about 5kw approximately

Advertisement