Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Land Rover Freelander

Options
  • 19-02-2010 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭

Hey,

I am thinking about buying a Freelander around 5 - 7 years old 2003 - 2005.

There seems to be a lot on the second hand market and prices seem pretty good.

Its for personal use but thinking about the commercial / diesel model.

Land Rover always appealled to me as a higher end marque, but reading through the adverts online there seems to be a lot of repair work needed on these models.

Timing belt, head gaskets and diff seems to be popping up a lot.

Couple of questions are parts and labour for these jeeps inexpensive?

Are they releiable?

How much would tax be? Is DOE a similar experience to the NCT cost wise etc?

What would be considered high mileage on a Freelander ie they pack up after 100k miles etc

Any general thoughts or experiences appreciated.

Anyone

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

There is plenty of posts about them here. They give a lot of trouble on engine/transmission. Fixing them is quite expensive, i would stay steer clear. The mate has a 07 as company car and its always giving bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 piddler

I used to work with a fella that had one and it was a pile of poo:mad:
    Steer clear of them
    And if you buy one wit more than 100k you'll be sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭deepriver

mmm doesnt sound good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 piddler

Did you think of buying something like a defender?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

deepriver wrote: »
    Hey,

I am thinking about buying a Freelander around 5 - 7 years old 2003 - 2005.

bad idea...
    There seems to be a lot on the second hand market and prices seem pretty good.

prices are good as most people wont touch them with a ten foot pole and the trade cant sell them.. cause they are useless ..
    Its for personal use but thinking about the commercial / diesel model.

Land Rover always appealled to me as a higher end marque, but reading through the adverts online there seems to be a lot of repair work needed on these models.

land rover are higher end marque.. but this is the piece of crap entry enry model...

like buying a smart car and thinking it will be like a merc.....
    Timing belt, head gaskets and diff seems to be popping up a lot.

Couple of questions are parts and labour for these jeeps inexpensive?

Are they releiable?

How much would tax be? Is DOE a similar experience to the NCT cost wise etc?

What would be considered high mileage on a Freelander ie they pack up after 100k miles etc

Any general thoughts or experiences appreciated.

Anyone

expensive.. and unreliable... it will cost you a lot...

• Advertisement

well I though of buying the freelander, because the discovery has a good reputation, I assumed all Land Rover lines would be similar quality, but seemingly not, no positive replies!

was more thinking of the Freelander because of engine and vehicle size, I dont want high running costs

mainly want something to get to Mayo and back, also for getting up the mountains for a bit of hiking & biking and then maybe a bit of travel in europe, so a diesel model

Santa Fe are seeminly good, but they just look crap?

forester xt...

robtri wrote: »
    forester xt...

yea could be a good choice, bit blocky looking though arent they

yea could be a good choice, bit blocky looking though arent they

they are ..but would suit your needs perfectably

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Diesel Nissan X-Trails can be bought for decent money these days. Lots of them available as commercials too.

Honda CR-V also but the diesels are rare and cost alot more. Rav4 might be another option.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

bazz26 wrote: »
    Diesel Nissan X-Trails can be bought for decent money these days. Lots of them available as commercials too.

Honda CR-V also but the diesels are rare and cost alot more. Rav4 might be another option.

good suggestions, I'd add Suzuki Vitara to that too

bazz26 wrote: »

I was checking out some x-trails alright. Are they reliable?

Anyone know what the tax on a 2.0 diesel commercial would be? Bit confused about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Anyone know what the tax on a 2.0 diesel commercial would be? Bit confused about that.

€288 per year for a commercial 4x4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

The old model santa fe up to 06 is a good machine. The bro has one it never gave any bother worth talking about. They dont look great though.
    X-trail is a bit ropey i think but i aint an expert

R.O.R wrote: »
    €288 per year for a commercial 4x4.

same as my renault clio 1.2 then, good value. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Two lads at work have them, one has no problems with his but the other lad, the turbo blew a couple of months back, he got a reconditioned turbo from the UK which worked out way cheaper than buying a new one.

are these yokes any good?

Ssangyong Kyron Commercial 2.0 XDI 2WD

Advertisement