Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Openoffice spellcheck problem

• 19-02-2010 10:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭

I'm trying to get the spellcheck to work. I think I know what the problem is but I cant fix it. The language is set to English(Eire) but there is no spellcheck support for that. I right-click, select character, and then I change to English (UK). As soon as i do that it resets back to English (Eire). ??? Any info on this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭slavigo

Hi,

I'm not sure if this helps in this situation but you can set the default language for your paragraphs in OpenOffice.org

In the menu bar select:
    >Tools>Options

Then in the left hand side of the Options Popup select:
    >Language Settings>Languages

Then in the right hand side of the Options Popup (with "Languages" selected):
    See "Default languages for documents"
    Select "English (UK)" in the drop down menu for "Western".

Hope this helps, in the furture.
    I'm not sure if it'll help in this case as your document already exists and the paragraph already has a language set on it.

Thanks,
    David.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭AndrewMc

Darkphenom wrote: »
    I'm trying to get the spellcheck to work. I think I know what the problem is but I cant fix it. The language is set to English(Eire) but there is no spellcheck support for that. I right-click, select character, and then I change to English (UK). As soon as i do that it resets back to English (Eire). ??? Any info on this?

There's an open bug about this http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=101716 and the simple fix is for them to have en_IE treated the same as en_GB. If you fix dictionaries.xcu as shown in the bug it'll work fine.

Please add your voice to the bug and convince them to actually apply that patch in the official release; it's very frustrating when such an irritating bug with such a simple fix keeps getting ignored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭Darkphenom

slavigo wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm not sure if this helps in this situation but you can set the default language for your paragraphs in OpenOffice.org

In the menu bar select:
    >Tools>Options

Then in the left hand side of the Options Popup select:
    >Language Settings>Languages

Then in the right hand side of the Options Popup (with "Languages" selected):
    See "Default languages for documents"
    Select "English (UK)" in the drop down menu for "Western".

Hope this helps, in the furture.
    I'm not sure if it'll help in this case as your document already exists and the paragraph already has a language set on it.

Thanks,
    David.

ah that worked. Thanks!
    lol btw my name is also David.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭slavigo

Hi Darkphenom/David :),

Glad it helped.

Enjoy,
    David.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

This problem is infuriating, will try what is outlined here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Mountain boy

My problem is simple - OpenOffice came with English (UK), I need to work in English (Eire), but there is no 'abc' with the tick beside this dictionary in my options. I can select it, it will show as being in operation at the bottom of the document, but it's not uploaded, so the Spellcheck never shows an incorrect spelling. In very simple terms, how can I rectify this? Went to OpenOffice dictionary bank, English (Eire) doesn't feature. Any help would be greatly appreciated - ta in advance.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Thank you, MP22; I have already gone through that process, but my problem is that the English (Eire) dictionary isn't in the 'Dictionary page of extensions' flagged in the tutorial, which means - obviously! - that I can't download it. It's showing as an option when I go to 'Languages' in my OpenOffice Writer programme, but the critical abc 'tick' is absent, which means that it hasn't been downloaded already. Any idea where I can find this English (Eire) dictionary?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Thank you, MP22; I have already gone through that process, but my problem is that the English (Eire) dictionary isn't in the 'Dictionary page of extensions' flagged in the tutorial, which means - obviously! - that I can't download it. It's showing as an option when I go to 'Languages' in my OpenOffice Writer programme, but the critical abc 'tick' is absent, which means that it hasn't been downloaded already. Any idea where I can find this English (Eire) dictionary?
    I dont think there is one :( Im using the UK one

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

• Advertisement

I'm using the UK one also, but it's a nuisance, doesn't recognise any Irish names, Christian, Surname or placename, nor any Irish terms. And why is it shown in the language dictionary options list? Any way of contacting OpenOffice directly to find out for certain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭Darkphenom

I fixed this problem at the time (cant remember how). I made a new install of openoffice version 3.2 and it seems to do it fine. Maybe an update is needed?

Only downloaded OpenOffice about a week ago, so if the English (Eire) dictionary exists, it should surely be there. It's a glich, obviously, but we should still be able to locate that dictionary, because it does exist somewhere! If I get time, might try to uninstall, then install again, see if the choice of dictionary is an option. Anyway, ta for the suggestion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭click_here!!!

I agree with people here, the OpenOffice spell-check is hard to use sometimes.

I copy-and-paste any text I want to check into http://www.polishmywriting.com/ , which is a free and highly-advanced online spelling, grammar and style checker.

I hope OpenOffice will fix their spell-check, or else the new competing project LibreOffice will beat them to it.;D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Took me a while to get it to work (on LibreOffice) but it works fine now. It's fine once you get it working, with the exception that it doesn't pick up on non-capitalised letters at the start of sentences. But yes, I hope that future versions will have spellcheck working OOTB.

Advertisement